Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
McDonough
Got home late yesterday afternoon after spending 5 days at Emory. All of the staff there were superb. Michelle and I want to thank everyone for their support, love and prayers. I can walk with a walker and shuffle a few steps without it. They said of the 11 patients to have had the procedure, I have had the most pain. They said that was due to the fact I had the most back muscle of the 11 patients. The good news is that I have not had any side effects from the drug cockatails I am on, which many patients have experienced. I am on about 30 pills a day, roughly 20 of them will be permanent and many of them are immune supressing so that my body does not reject the cells.

I am very grateful for all of my friends on this support who I know prayed for me, sent positive thoughts and showed Michelle and I immense kindness. Your support was felt and helped keep me strong during some of the low points when the pain was severe. Michelle would read me your responses to her posts and everyoe brought a smile to my face. It will take months or longer to know if the cells will make a difference so please keep the prayers coming.

Thanks again! Love Ted

Ted, welcome home! I'm sorry you have had such pain, and glad the medications (that's a LOT!) don't cause nasty side effects. Praying for this to be of help to you and have lasting value. God bless you. Ann

We have all been thinking about you daily! I'm glad you are home with no side effects. I am sorry you went through so much pain. Keep us posted on your progress. Our thoughts and thanks are with you.

Ted, welcome home. Glad to see you in good spirits and recovering.
Tom

Welcome home Ted. I'm sorry for the pain and I hope you have no more and just get better. Thanks for doing this for all of us (and for yourself of course) and I really hope that you have fantastic results.
Barry

Welcome home Ted. Hope you get positive results.

AL.

Wow! You are the great example of the strength of a nordic viking altough I know you are not! I salute you. I checked your pics and you have a beautiful family. I hope you lead the way into the future of treatment for ALS and other neurdiseases. Have a great recovery and let us know about how you feel!

Glad you're through this part of the process, hoping for positive results in the future

Hi Ted,
I am glad to hear you are home but flinching thinking of all that back muscle! Hope you will have good results-

Lydia

Ted,

This is a noble thing you're doing potentially putting your own health at risk and enduring pain for the advancement of ALS medicine. Thank you for your sacrifices.

-Tom

Hooray! Ted is back! Very glad to hear this. As the others have said, i am sorry you are in pain, but am glad to hear you are recovering well. i will continue to pray for you, as always. you dont need to ask.
i have a question- with you being on meds to suppress (sp?) your immune system, does that put you at greater risk for getting infections or other illnesses?
At any rate- glad to see you around again!

Thanks for all the great wishes. I hope that one day we can all benefit from this. Even if it doesn't help me, they are learning with each patient, how to help PALS and future PALS.

Liz - to answer your question, with the immune suppressing drugs you are at an increased risk to develop other issues. I felt it was worth the risk, these trials are no good just being done on rats and mice in labatories!

Love you all!

Ted You are such an inspiration, I know your family has to be proud of you...Hope the pain subsides, and you have no more problems.

Glad you're home, Ted! Hope things go well for you!

you are more than amazing to be willing to do all of that Ted. I tell you what- when you are having the worst days of your life, you remember what you have done. Come back and re-read all these posts. This puts you in a whole different ball game Ted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back