Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
CALIFORNIA
City
san diego
hi pals, for those of you that lost your ability to speak, are you abl to make sounds

If by sounds you mean groans and grunts then definitely. Not that anyone knows what they mean but so far I can drive my wife crazy, just ask her!

Thanks Barry. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to make any noise. At least I can make a sound and she knows to come into the room, because we have a baby monitor next to the bed. What a relief to know that if I make noise she comes into the room, as I am loosing my voice.

If you get a Dynavox computer it has an emergency button on it that you can hear any were in my house.

i use monitor now because i can still talk a little i already lost the use of one hand and my othere one is soon to fallow. thanks

My husband can no longer speak and has been using a DinaVox. We have just given him an I Pad and it is so much better. First of all the thing is light and easy to tuck undr your arm. The ap for speech is great as are the others. The screen(s) give him so much more space to write and e-mail. As a bonus he has a wireless printer .

Today he can no longer swallow .He has a peg tube but this new development tells us that life is going to be harder.Any body out there that cannot swallow? Help

Hannacat, welcome to the forum. There are a few of us here that cannot swallow at all and you are ahead of the game with the peg tube. I have not eaten or drunk anything by mouth for well over a year so I can answer your questions.

My pals hasnt spoken in over 6 years and he cannot make sounds.
he uses a monitor at night as well. he will grind his teeth when he needs something. comes across loud and clear on the monitor.

i havent spoken in over 5 yrs but still make annoying sounds.

Has anyone been able to hum a tune? I think any sound that comes from pals is a joyful noise...even if it gets on others nerves..lol
I am leaning towards getting an IPad...which text to speak software goes with this device? How much $? I need something i can carry around with me as i am still able to get out. It was interesting yesterday at my ALS Clinic...the speech therapist said my speech was just fine, but my closest friends are telling me I sound different. I recorded my voice the other day, the begining of voice banking, and when i played it back, I sounded a bit wierd...like the words were muffled, or not ending with the right constanant.

I have a question: what kind of microphone for a notebook works best for voice banking? any kind of software that helps the quality of recording?

Yes, I make noise. I even say "hi" and "thank you." No one understands the words, but the way the fluctuation comes out, people seem to understand what the noise means.
I have not spoken for 5 years.

I can vouch for Judy--On the phone I know when she says "hi"!

thanks again for all your replys.

I can yell and groan loud,can not say words,try and nobody understands.Started losing voice about a year ago,thought it was spring Pollen.

When is the appropriate time to begin voice banking? My husband doesn't have any bulbar signs, we are assuming these will be last. I know that's not a guarantee. He has loss of use of his left hand and arm and his left leg is showing some signs of weakness. I don't want to be late on the voice banking. I think our kids would like to hear his voice. I'm also curious about the price and software for the ipad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back