Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
Ar
City
Mtn. Home
How do handle transfers at motels my husband is 75 has had a heart attack plus 3 stints and a balloon surgery so travelling is pretty hard to do since I don't like him trying to lift me.

Caldona, I stay home! The whole business of traveling holds no appeal for me. As I also need to be hoisted and need a hospital bed, I'm thankful to want to stay put. You sound very adventurous!

I also now stay home most of the time but we use to travel some and my husband would love to go to Alaska thats the only place he hasn't got to go we were planning on going until I got this great news we should have went then and I would have been fine but now as I look back I think I must have kind of shut down and back then I would not have admitted that.

Yes, totally understand. I was advised then to go to Paris or Hawaii--anything exotic and a big deal. I only wanted my life as it had been--not something new and exciting.

Hal and I are thinking about trying a trip to the Mirage in Las Vegas. We haven't tried travelling since Hal needed assistance with transfers or since he needed the elevation in his bed for breathing. Most "Handicap accessible" room designations in most places simply means that you can get a wheelchair in the door - and if you're lucky, maybe you can also get one into the shower. Not really suitable for a PALS who has respiratory issues or needs assitance with transfers.

Hal and I are not particularly Las Vegas fans - it's just that the Mirage claims they have specially equipped rooms, including not only wheelchair friendly amenities, but also a lift in the room and specialized equipment for people who not able to transfer. I want to call and find out if the "specially equIpped rooms' include a hospital bed - or a least a bed that can adjust to have the upper body raised - for breathing - and lots of electric outlets for BiPap, suction, rechargers, etc.

I will post the info when I get around to contacting them.

Good luck I wished all Motels had lifts. At Washington University in St. Louise there is a Hotel that connects to the hospital by a cross walk it does not have a lift. You would think it would.

Hello...sure would be nice to continue traveling! I've always thought it would be great to switch homes with someone as we all have accessible homes in some fashion or another. Someone else might as well enjoy our 30k lift from our entryway to the living room and then down to the family room! I did a google search on motels/hotels and there is little to nothing out there that would have a hospital bed or other equip. necessary. I did find, however, that you can #1 request a lift from the ALS loan closet--contact your clinic and have it delivered to the hotel/motel (we're doing that soon on a trip to San Diego, CA) and #2 you can actually rent a hospital bed and ask a hotel/motel if you can have it delivered--now in your situation that sounds like a lot of work, but just information for those traveling to someone's home for a reunion or longer stay or for an extended trip somewhere, etc.... Best wishes and hope your travel plans work out!

I have done some traveling and seen some fantastic scenery in the past. On a recent trip to the shore I enjoyed seeing the ocean, but kept asking myself....should I really be using my resources for expensive trips right now?

I may make a few more short trips, but I am fine at home. It's my family and relationships that matter to me now.

My husband and I were very fortunate. His job sent us to Europe for 3 years. We got to travel around Europe on the company's nickle, tacking on vacation time each week. When we moved back to the states, his job took him around the world. The travel we have done in the past year since diagnosis has been friend and family related - daughter to college, football game, our beach home. We had to stop because of lack of equipment. In particular, the hospital bed. I wish we could get back to the beach one more time.

My husband would love to see the ocean again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back