Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
Ar
City
Mtn. Home
We have carpet in our home. My husband had trouble trying to use a hoyer lift in fact it was to hard for him and we never used one. Instead I got on line and looked for a medical hoist but they cost so much. A tech told us there
was a cheaper way with the info he gave us I started doing some searching and found a coffing 500 lb. rope hoist it cost $623, the track is the same ones used on sliding doors. My husband had to drill some more holes in the track he wanted a screw and washer in each ceiling joist. My ceiling is white so he painted the track white before putting it up. I now have track and hoist over my chair and in the bathroom and bed for about $2000, I ordered a sling that is easy to use I took the arm off of a hoyer lift and it works great. The lift says not for lifting humans but since I don't weigh 500lb I thought what the heck it works or it won't and it does.

Good for you! It sounds like a wonderful solution.

Welcome to the forum! What an inventive solution. Up until my husband's diagnosis, I was in your neck of the woods on business every couple of months. I miss it. It is such a beautiful area!

We have carpet in our home. My husband had trouble trying to use a hoyer lift in fact it was to hard for him and we never used one. Instead I got on line and looked for a medical hoist but they cost so much. A tech told us there
was a cheaper way with the info he gave us I started doing some searching and found a coffing 500 lb. rope hoist it cost $623, the track is the same ones used on sliding doors. My husband had to drill some more holes in the track he wanted a screw and washer in each ceiling joist. My ceiling is white so he painted the track white before putting it up. I now have track and hoist over my chair and in the bathroom and bed for about $2000, I ordered a sling that is easy to use I took the arm off of a hoyer lift and it works great. The lift says not for lifting humans but since I don't weigh 500lb I thought what the heck it works or it won't and it does.
Caldona, great minds think alike! I put up an annotated parts list for what I believe is a similar project over in "Tips, Tricks, and Gadgets" under "Track for lift". It's currently on page 2. We used an electric hoist, but it sounds like the same track.

However, what sling are you using? We haven't found one that we would say was "easy."

My sling is called a Drive medical padded U-Sling with head support. It goes behind your back and wrap under your legs then
you criss cross them before hooking up to hoist. This cost me $105. The bar I have came off of hoyer lift.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info. We'll look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back