PALS
Diagnosis
01/2011
Country
US
State
Ks
City
I have caught a cold. Whole diffent world I live in now. I slept about 2 hrs last night and feel just terrible. Have never missed a day of work for a cold in my life. This might be a silly question but does anyone have any tips for dealing. I can't hardly blow my nose, cant cough hard enough to dislodge disharge, not serious but hard to breath with stuff in my throat. Last night everytime I dosed off I made noise like a grunt or moan and would wake myself up. Not meaning to make noise don't know what that is about.

Hi Michael, Welcome! I have a cold too and am experiancing the same symptoms. Kerns makes a Papya nectar that helps break up mucous or you can also get papya tablets. I am hoping we get some input also from the veterans here. Hope you are feeling better soon.

I'm just getting over a cold, too. I used nasal spray with phynolephrine in it for congestion and Mucinex DM for the mucous and lungs. This was an adequate solution. But my FVC is 62% so I know it's just gonna get worse; I'd like a better answer, too.

I have a cough assist, but it doesn't seem to do anything to help.

-Tom

My wife got me a decongestant called zicam. Nasal spray. I can't swallow big pills like mucinex. Seems to be helping with the breathing/ discharge in throat.

increase your water intake as much as you can handle. it helps thin things out.

My husband just got over a cold, too. He drank tons of water, and alternating medicating with sudaphed, tylenol cold, mucinex and loratadin. It too him about 10 days to get over it. At night, we raised the head of his bed to help with the drainage. Good luck to you. I know how awful it is.

Last edited:
Michael, a cool mist vaporizer would help. The Mucinex is a good idea
as is increasing your fluid intake. If you have a weak cough, getting a cough assist
machine to bring up secretions would be invaluable.Hope this helps.
blessings, Pat

I saw on another forum where drinking Club Soda helped break up mucus, and so did hot tea, especially peppermint tea. The hot beverage was said to create an environment in the throat unfriendly to germs. Club soda is easy to locate in grocery stores.

Are you beginning to feel better yet? I so hope you are able to breathe and to sleep.

Make sure the Club Soda contains sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) because some brands use other things like sodium citrate and those don't work anywhere near as well. I used to flush with club soda but now just use a teaspoon of baking soda in s liter of water. Not as pleasing flavour wise as club soda but I dont drink it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back