Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Calgary
We have decided to hire a live in caregiver and there is an agency that will help but my husband and I will interview and make the decision. I have (in my former life) interviewed and hired but then I knew the job requirements and I wasn't hiring someone to take care of me. Any advice as to questions to ask or things to watch out for? Having someone living with us is going to be hard to adjust to as it is - I want to get the "right" person.

Thanks
Shelagh

Hi Shelagh,
I had hope--and still do by bumping this up, you'll get help. I have two friends plus husband still doing my care, so I have no experience to share. I see such a recent diagnosed date for you, and am sorry you need a caregiver. Some of the spouse caregivers may have great tips as well as other patients who have hired. The spouse caregivers are so busy, they may get here to post later in the evening. Very best wishes,
Ann

the only advice i have is to hire someone privately instead of through an angency. As usualy the agency wants their cut of the money.
My PALS was paying $18.75 an hour during the week and $22.75 an hour on the weekends for care. All out of pocket because his income is pretty high and the angency wouldnt take his medicare. The CNA got $11.25 and hour during the week and $14.50 on weekends, so you see how much the agency kept. They werent much help at all. The CNA's were, but not the agency itself.
I guess it depends on your insurance coverage and what you are able to pay.
Do a background check on the person. Find someone who has a couple years experience and call their references.
Maybe to trial runs with people you are interested in.

Shelagh, I see that you are in Calgary so you should talk to your local provincial home care nurse. The provincial government will pay for a certain number of hours of home care and the nurse can help you come up with hiring criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back