PALS
Diagnosis
01/2011
Country
US
State
Ks
City
Has anyone read Hope Springs Eternal By David Atkinson? He was diagnosed with bulbar onset ALS and actually came back from it using coventional med and alternative treatments. I am not through with it, just wondering if anyone else had read it tried the alternative treatments and thoughts about such? :)

I haven't heard of it, Michael. It takes some time for a book to be published, making my instinct leery of the validity...Why isn't this better known, or did he actually have MND? I don't want to burst your balloon, just not quickly excited... then, I always was a bit slow...:roll:

I'm with Ann. If it was legitimate it would be more widespread and we would all be doing. Plus SocialSecurity and Disability insurance companies would not approve our claims if their was a cure. When it comes to these miracle cures I am quite skeptical.

I am no way saying it is a cure. I do however believe in miracles and god's will. I think in this case (ALS) one can pray for alternative cures because there is not alot of hope from the medical community. When we give up hope we turn our fate over to ?. Is it possible it worked for him- Yes Will work for someone else-? maybe. My fate is in mine and gods hands and I'm very comfortable with that. Their is evidence of people healing themselves with placebos. We can aid in creating miracles if it's gods will by keeping our minds open. OK I'll step off the soap box.
One of the alternative methods he used was Wet Cell Unit- stimulates growth of nerve tissue. Has anyone heard of this? One thing I have learned is how diffrent this desease is in each of us. The drug that starts with an R slows the progrssion in some more than others, correct. (Sorry I dont remember the name of the drug.) The publishing date on the book is 1998 I'm going to google him and see what shows up. I don't want to seem grasping but my mind is open.

Your mind is open ans so will your wallet be. Search above here, wet cell is bogus and doesn't work.

AL

Thank you that was what I was asking for! I didn't step off the soap box Al knocked me off! lol Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for the newbee questions.

Should have googled it before I opened my trap. They just happened to list the link to how to purchase a wet cell several times in an article. HMM suspicious I would have caught that! lol again sorry.

There is a book "River of Hope" written by the husband of a deceased PALS from Eau Claire, WI. They practiced alternative medicine and even had her silver fillings replaced. He claims she was getting better but died due to complications of a head injury. She had bulbar onset. I think he may have just loved her so much that he was blinded and saw what he wanted to see. I sure wish there was a path to take....

Good luck, Michael and mstudier- I am just a few months ahead of you in this process, and have read both the Atkinson stuff & River of Hope. Neither did anything for me, and I'm quite open-minded to alternative approaches. But not at the expense of getting the best care from ALS experts that I can (which is what saddened mej about the River of Hope story). I would suggest finding a good ALS Clinic to work with and then figuring out if there are add-ons you want to try. Good luck, and we're all here for each other!
Sue

Hi Sue,
The first book I read after diagnosis was River of Hope because I live in the same commnity. I was also diagnosed and am being treated at the same clinic the author so intently bashes. I don't share his opinion. I think the fact that people don't recover from ALS indicates that there are no alternate cures and for now, at least, no cures at all. If there were cures, someone would have stumbled on them by now.

I think I am actually a few months ahead of you. I am going to visit an ALS clinic soon for breathing issues. I hope you are doing OK.
Randy

I think it is so important to have hope...we are wired for it by our Creator, however not false hope...I love my ALS CLinic as they know their stuff about how to help with quality of life...at the same time, I want to keep an open mind/open heart (not gullable or stupid) to one of us stumbling onto something that seems to improve the quality of life... there is so little known yet about what actually causes ALS...perhaps God will use one of us to stumble upon something that will point researchers in the right direction. As long as we pursue these possibilities with realistic expectations, learning from the experience of others, I think it is good to do our own research. Keep hope alive! My ALS clinic is open to whatever i want to try, as long as I do not over spend my resourcces, or deplete my energy in the process. If God wants one of us to stumble over something that works, I mean really works to improve quality or length of life, then I hope we are all open to it!

I too am very open to ANY treatment that will slow, stop or cure this disease. That being said there are so many things out there that you will find at least one ALS patient claims worked for them and many more who swear that same treatment is useless. So what to do? Spirulina? Wet cells? Coconut Oil? Glutathione? Vitamin E? Vitamin D? Vitamin B? Raw foods? Organic foods? Qigong? Then there are the different clinical trials...which one to try to get involved with? :?::?::?:
Since I'm not a neurologist and I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I am going to rely on the advice of my medical support team, I will continue to pray daily for a breakthrough in research that will benefit all PALS and I'm going to live and love like there's no tomorrow because there might not be one.

Nothing wrong with hope, it keeps us all going every day. It is why I am participating in the stem cell studies at Emory because it gives me hope. However I am also realistic about it and have set realalistic expectations. Plus it does not cost me anything because it is a legitimate trial.

As far as Prayer I absolutely belive in that. One never knows and Prayers give us just that, hope. That is the gift of Faith. Of course I also Pray for my wife and Children because I am realistic and know that God answers prayers in his timeframe not mine and the cure may not be found before my time.

Sex is the only real cure, and if it does not work.....atleast it was fun trying lol ;^0

Thanks Phil but the wife didn't buy it. Can't blame a guy for trying lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back