PALS
Diagnosis
01/2011
Country
US
State
Ks
City
Ok I have one I am need of advice of, if any one can help. I live in Kansas (originally from right on the boarder of Colorado- Kansas.) The nuero doc. couldn't see me for 4mo.(locally) so my father in law pulled some strings and got me into a nuero doc in Denver within a week. That is where I got my diagnosis. She wants to have a brain MRI done and the closest hospital to me (Where ive had extensive testing done pre diagnosis) will not book the MRI because my doc is not licsened (I need spell checklol) in Kansas. The other docs. I have seen, are dragging there feet to give the referal and my pcp is also in Colo. (The boarder town)( I now live about75 miles into Kansas) Is this normal or am stuck in a college rivalry. lol I know many of you have traveled for treatment or testing is this always an issue? I know the long term answer is find a local pcp that will work with my nuero doc. but was trying to get the mri done quickly on the slight chance that it is something other than ALS. ( the nuero doc said less than 5% chance.) Any Advice Would be Appreciated.

Michael, I'd bite the bullet and have the doc in Denver set up an MRI there, where she's in charge. I did travel 2 1/2 hours in state to get all but my lumbar puncture done at Johns Hopkins. The Neuro at Hopkins decided where testing was done. If you still need a lumbar puncture, that's a good one to have done locally--making the chances of leakage much less. But the MRI was done where my doc said to do it. Hopefully, if you do have this disease, you can have local care after all the testing and diagnosis is over.
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back