PALS
Diagnosis
01/2011
Country
US
State
Ks
City
I have a story I'd like to share with you all. Many years back I bought a new boat. Brand new It was what I always wanted in so many ways. My dad and myself were fishing on a deep, high in the Rocky Mountains, lake, the wind picked up and the waves, All sane people got off the water. I did not, I had a big boat (20ft) and was not in any danger. When all of a sudden the boat quit moving, the motor was running but no forward or backward propulsion. We were at the mercy of the lake. If we made it to shore where would we land how would we get the boat to a dock ect.ect. Out of nowwhere a gentleman in a small (probably 16ft dingy) pulled up and said he you need some help? He pulled my large disabled boat back to a dock. It was a load on that little boat. I offered him gas, money, fishing tackle, advice on how we were catching fish. He would accept none of it. I'll never forget when we had safely tied the boat to the dock he looked me right in the eyes and said now you owe someone else help. My story although I never forgot and have always tried to live up to struck home with what you people do everday on this site. Thank you. I offer my support as well, to any who need it. I am not versed in all that is this desease but have a big heart and good ears, so to speak.

Michael. welcome to the forum. I am just sorry that you are having to go through all this at the moment.
I loved your story. Last week I sat my 12 year old down and asked him to watch the amazing film "Pay it Forward". I think it should be compulsory watching for absolutely everyone. Your story reminded me of the film. Such a lovely way to live a life.:)

Aly

Michael, I appreciate your story and your desire to support and to help. I'm glad you're with us (Not glad you're sick, though!).
Ann

Welcome michael

Hi Michael ... I liked your story

Paying it forward is a good way to operate. ...of course sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone

I was boating with my wife 3.5 years ago. My arms were pretty weak but still had some function and my wife was 6 months pregnant. We just had a small tin boat with a 10HP outboard engine.

It was midday and had been sunny. All of a sudden a powerful wind developed and the sky became black. It really looked like a nasty storm was about to hit. We only had about 5 minutes until we would arrive at our boathouse so I wasn't really worried.

We passed a father and son kayaking in rental kayaks from the resort at the other end of the bay. The water was really choppy and they were kayaking into the wind. They were really struggling and not appearing to be making any headway. At this point the sky was so black that it looked like night time even though it was only about 2pm. We decided to ask if they needed help.

I could barely hear the father over the wind but he told me that he and his son were managing. He was really worried about his wife who was some distance back. We told him that we would go check on her.

She was a good distance back and seemed to be in distress. We asked her if she wanted help and she quickly replied yes.

We heard thunder in the distance and it looked like all hell was about to break loose. We thought that the fastest way to get moving would be for her just to hold on to the side of the boat. After a few tries we soon realized that this was not going to work. We then thought about towing her so we threw her a line. Well towing appeared to be working - until her kayak flipped over and we capsized her.
Now she was in the cold water with her kayak upside down. There was no way for us to right kayak.

The only thing left for us to do was to have her climb into the boat. Now we didn't have a ladder and the sides of the boat were too high for her to pull herself up out of the water. At this point my wife and I thought to ourselves “Who were we kidding- we aren’t in any condition to offer any help “ we certainly couldn’t help lift her into the boat – I could barely lift 5 pounds and my wife was pregnant. We basically had to just sit and watch as this poor women tried to climb onto the slippery overturned hull of her kayak. She kept slipping on the hull and banging herself onto the side of the boat – and having to start all over again- it was agonizing to watch. Finally she managed to throw herself over the side of the boat. She was covered in cuts and bruises and suffering from hypothermia.... but at last we could take her to the resort.

By the time we dropped her waterlogged, bruised and battered body off at the resort, the storm had completely passed us by, the sun was out, the water was as calm as glass and there was nary a breeze in the air. The father and son had been relaxing by the pool basking in the sun for about 20 minutes- all cozy and warm.

I think if we had told her she now owed someone else help - she would have punched both of us

I love that movie! It has to be one of my favorites except for the ending. I am at heart a polyana. Wouldn't the world be a better place if it worked that way.

You need at least 2 boxes of tissues and fluid replacement after. :-(

But yes, apart from that it's the best.

Aly ( all shriveled after watching it)

Wow what a horrifing story. But thank god you were there! Bruised and battered was so much better than the alternative. I hope she appreciated your help. How many times in life do we council people or try and help to have it fall on deaf ears or people who dont appreciate the things they have. As a group, I doubt anyone appreciates the little and the big things in our lives more than this group of people do. I do feel even with all the negetives truely blessed and I won't waste a single moment( if i can help it) feeling sorry for myself. I have given my life's work over to my god and just hope I am able to do his work with the time I have left. You never know how you will touch someone else's life and make a positive impact. You people have done that for me. Sorry for the religous reference, but it is my strength, ( it seems frowned upon) if it offends anyone.

Michael,

I have my issues with the god and Christian references at least as much as pretty much anyone on here and I will just say this: if that is where your strength comes from, keep at it. I am all for "paying it forward" in whatever sense that means to anyone. I firmly we are all here to share the experience and whatever steps one takes to ease someone else's burden is an effort well spent.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back