Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I have read a few past posts, but wanted to ask. I never seem to get it quite right. Either I am overly spastic or tired and fatigued.

The weakness is also a problem in my symtomatic leg-foot. I am unable to make any progress in building up stamina or in having enough energy for regular exercise. Being on my feet for any length of time really wears me out.

I know not to just stop taking Baclofin: currently I take 2 upon wakening, 2 in late afternoon, and 3 at bedtime to help with sleep.

Should I try a lesser, and more frequent dose, you think?

My neuro tells me that for a guy my size, he would limit max to 80mlgs

I would appreciate any thoughts....thanks!

How many mg. are you taking? My husband takes 1 20mg tablet every 6 hours (obviously it ends up being more from bedtime to breakfast). This seems to work, and it is the maximum that our doctors will prescribe.

Sorry; the tablets are 10mg and I take them currently as described in my first post.

My husband just had a baclofen pump put in at Vanderbilt (in TN), this allows the medication to not be broken down so thus be more effective without having any of the neuro side effects of tired and drowsey! After placed they have to assess every so often while you slowly stop taking the pills to adjust the pump to best suit the individual. Also, it is programmed to give more at night to allow less twitches and cramps and better sleeping, and less during the day to allow for more use of limbs.

Wow Amber, that is very interesting. I notice a huge difference in my husband if I'm late giving him the baclofen - stiff as a board.

My dad takes 30mg total but divided into 3 different times. So, he takes 10mg in the morning, 10mg in the afternoon, and the last 10mg in the evening. It took about 2-3 weeks for the drowsiness to go away! I hope it will for you, too!

hi bad balance.
i have been on baclofen for 11yrs or so therefore i know very well how the dosage works.
here in the uk the doc's say 60-80mg max,anything higher needs hospital supervision.
when i first started baclofen i was on 60mg.........2x10mg 3x day.
i gradually cut down over the years to 30-40mg a day,with this dosage i'm not overly spastic but not like jelly.
i calculate you are taking 70mg a day,this maybe too much and needs bringing down a bit.
try cutting your evening dose to 20mg first,i take a sleeping tablet with my baclofen on a night...........if you dont want perscription sleeping tablets then try the herbal ones .
not being able to judge your spasticity or weakness as to how much you have i can only suggest you play around with your baclofen.
maybe stick to 20mg morning and evening but just take 10mg in the middle of the day..........that way your cutting out 20mg alltogether.
on good days you can take less and increase dosage on bad days or when you know you are going to be doing something that will make the spasticity worse.
baclofen is a really versitile drug and i was told its not nessesarily high dosages but even a small dosage can make a lot of difference.............people think such a small pill and small dosage wont do much but just one of those tiny white pills has alot of power.
and i do urge anyone to never ever just quit taking a drug like this...........it can be dangerous causing severe increase in symptoms and even seizures.
hope this helps,take care.
caroline

thanks Caroline....very helpful

Perhaps really too soon to tell, but I cut back on my Baclofin today and took only 1- 10mg tablet every 4 hours....things actually seemed better. I was not so fatigued or fuzzy. I will try this for a few days and possibly cut back a bit more as long as I can keep the gagglies away in my legs.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back