Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
WA
City
Lake Stevens
Any ideas on how to get my wedding ring off my finger without cutting it off? I tried dish soap it does not budge.

Thanks,

try some kind of oil Rox

Rox, is it hot and humid in Hawaii? That causes swelling... OK, other than chilling your hand, the thing that makes my ring loose is (I know, another nincompoop comment, but this is the truth) to eat canned tunafish. I'm telling you, it's like a diuretic for me. If you are able to eat it, just add some squeezed lemon and olive oil, and if you're like me, you'll experience a fluid loss in a day or so.;-)

Of course, this wouldn't work if your hands are swollen from ALS involvement.

Here's another thing people do. They try to shift the ring back toward the hand as far as possible, then get someone to wrap dental floss around and around your finger fairly quickly (don't want to cut circulation for too long) and then quickly try to slide it over the finger wrapped with dental floss. Good luck Rox!
Laurel

If you have an ice bucket in your room - fill it up, stick your hand in it and after it is good and cold, pull it out and see if you can coax the ring off. Works for me --

Thanks for all the info. It is only my left hand that is swollen so I think it is ALS related. If I cannot get off trying your tricks I may go have it cut off.

Aloha

Get your hand wet under running hot (comfortably) water..
Take your hand out from under the flow, only long enough to squirt a ring of dishwashing liquid soap all the way around your finger.
Rub it in and around the ring with your spare hand.
Push up from underneath your ring, AND AT THE SAME TIME twisting the ring around and around.
While doing that, push your flesh under the ring.... you know there'll be a tiny "fat" roll to pass through the ring.
Don't do this with such gusto that you make your finger swell..
Don't be in a hurry. Relax and work at it.
Whatever you do, don't leave the ring stuck halfway off. Push it back on, or immediately repeat the process by getting it back under
running warm water and reapply the liquid soap. Begin again.
Wish I was there to help you. I am always asked to help with this.
I get called upon to help get slivers out too. I can do them painlessly and quickly as well. I raised 6 kids. That helps.

Rox,

If you're swollen as aftermath from flying, the swelling will go back down on its own accord. Anything you're able to eat or drink with diuretic action will help a lot. So long as its not cutting off circulation you could always wait until right before time to fly again.

Rose thank you. We have been in hawaii for a week and will still be here until months end. I don't think I can wait much longer the swelling is getting worse and the ring tighter.

Any chance you were bitten by a bug or something? Any food allergies? Benadryl might help.

AL.

My neurologist said my swollen hands have nothing to do with my ALS sometimes I wonder if he knows what he's doing. He's supposed to be the one who handles all the ALS cases. I also gave scleroderma which is what they said causes my hands to swell.

Did you get it off yet? I hope so, since this was written yesterday. Just in case you didn't, I have one more idea. Elevate you arm over your head for about 20 minutes - someone can help you with this, or prop it up on pillows as high as possible while you are laying down, then do the dental floss trick that Laurel suggested. This was the technique used by a doctor when my very curious young son put something on his finger that didn't belong there.

I hope it is already off, but good luck!

I went to the jeweler's just last week because my wedding band was getting tight (I never take it off - 24 1/2 yrs!). She sprayed my finger with windex and I was eventually able to work it off. Now it is being re-sized. I hope you have been successful!

Good news it came off using teflon tape first then pushing the swollen skin under the ring by our friend who had very strong hands. Praise God it came off on a hope and a prayer the next thing was to have it cut off.

Ironically only my limbs the have mostly been effected by ALS are swollen. My right hand is not swollen at all. Lots of ALS patients have problems with swelling from what I have read. I do believe it is a symptom.

Thanks for all your help in time of need.

Glad you got it off Rox! Now enjoy yourself nd relax! Love Joni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back