Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Santa Barbara
I am using my new Dynavox VMax with eyegaze to write this. Actually I have had it for a month but I am trying a lot of different modes and settings so I still have much to learn.

The fastest way to type is to use the mouse to select letters and words on the screen. It came with a small mouse that is easy to use and which I really like. But I am trying to practice with the eyegaze so when I need it I will be ready.

I am using add-on software called Alphacore which has its own set of common words to select from along with the keyboard. Dynavox also has word completion which speeds things up.

But it is still very slow. I am taking a good 15 minutes to write this short message. And the eyegaze is working very well today, going right where I am looking. Sometimes it is way off and I struggle to aim it.

I would like to hear more about other people who are using unconventional ways of communication.

My PALS uses a chart system and his eye movements to indicate what letter her wants.
never used an eyegaze. he did have something that went on his forehead when he could still
move that, but never did the eyegaze.
its a pretty neat system, but it takes awhile to learn and it takes awhile to spell things out with him.
He spells things out letter by leter- so alot of things he says are repeated from day to day. Dont ever have real long conversations with him, as his eyes get tired. they are the only thing on him that works- other than his smile.
A huge drawback though- alot of folks arent willing to learn it. So myself and his mom are the only two people in his life that know how to communicate with him- and his mom isnt very good at it anymore.

Are you looking for a different way to communicate or are you just curious?

Hal....I am going to ask my hubby in the morning about your comments. He uses the eyegaze probably 90% of his waking hours. He surfs the net, did all the kids Christmas shopping, email..and communicates using the device. He is actively engaged promoting the Pepsi Contest for the ALS Guardian Angels Too! I am going to send you a private message with his email address.....
Keep trying...do not give up!
L, Kelly

If you can still speak Dragon NaturallySpeaking voice recognition software is excellent and once you are used to using it it will produce text far quicker than if you were to type it. To me about 15 seconds to write this.

Hello Hal,
I'm interested to follow this thread as I am still rather unsure about two schools of thought: some seem to question the need for high-end hardware and just use PC applications; while others go for the expensive gear. Im just beginning to use a 'voice' on computer and I type well, so it's all a bit theoretical for me, but I'm very interested to learn. Many thanks,
R.

There is no need to go to an expensive dedicated speech generating device until you need an eyegaze system. At the point where all you can move is your eyes then there is no inexpensive solution and an eyegaze system is the only way to go.

I would love to hear more comments on this. My husband has lost the use of his arms and hands, and his speech is almost gone. He is struggling with the eye gaze system (Dynavox). It takes forever for us to line his eyes up everyday - why!

How much does the Dragon Naturally Speaking software cost? Im thinking of getting an IPad with software so I can cary it around easily. My family is checking into it for me as they will pay for it.

I just got an IPad for my husband this week and downloaded proloquo2go. He seems to like it so far as he can at least get his ding-batted wife (me!) to understand what he is talking about. He doesn't spell that well but there are a lot of pre-made choices to select and he even created a voicemail message and we recorded it for his new IPhone today. It is relatively inexpensive at $190.00.

Remind me catcaniac, does he have the use of his hands or a hand?

Catcaniac did you buy the Ipad and Ipad phone separately, and then which one does he use for what. Bruce's speech is going fast. somedays I just can't understand him. Wondering how we can communicate when I go to work and leave him home alone.

Yes, I had to buy them separately. He uses the IPad for the communication with the Proloqou. He wanted the iphone because he had an old phone he couldn't text on and since he can't talk to his buddies anymore....as he has a lot...I figured he could start texting them. If you had to get just one...I would definitely go with the IPad as the keyboard is much larger and more user friendly. Even if he stops being able to use his hands I will at least know his normal phrases by then and he can blink me yes or no, maybe.

I Control my Dynavox with a dot on my glasses(they told me between my eyes)the dot last forever and doesn't bother my vision.
My dot acts as my mouse when I select what I want I have a button I push with my foot. This did not cost me nothing. I have Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Sheild. I went to MDA speach therapist.

Lately I've been experimenting with using the free software program Dasher, controlling it with eye gaze. It's pretty relaxing and fun, although not too fast. It does run away from me occasionally, and I have to back up and hunt for the letter I want. Dasher has a special input mode for eye trackers (also works for head mouse), and can auto-adjust for changes in calibration.

Inference Group: Dasher Project: Home

Here is a large movie showing Dasher controlled by eye gaze:

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/movies/EyeDasher.4800.mpg

Augie Nieto is typing 40 words per minute using Dasher and his toe.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back