Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
North Carolina
City
Sneads Ferry
I searched a bit around on the forum and couldn't really find much. I wondered if any other PALS on here have seizures. My husband's issues began after a grand mal seizure last April. He had been having aura's for about 2 years. Although they did find a benign cyst in his brain, the doctors have not been clear if the seizure could be related to the ALS. Just wondering as my husband had an aura last night while sleeping and I wanted to know if there may be increased risk as his ALS progresses. He takes 300mg of Lamotrigine daily to control the seizures.

I have never heard seizures being an ALS symptom. I really think they are a result of something else.

ive never heard of the connection either

I've never heard of that being an issue either.

AL.

I'm putting my two cents in here because we have seizures in common. My husband is in the testing phase for everything else under the sun.

The doctor has seen signs of upper motor neuron disorder and has definitely diagnosed him with seizures, as of last week.

I'm going to ask her if there is a connection between MND and seizures at our next appointment---I have read that seizures can be caused my neurodegeneration but not specifically ALS.

What type of seizures is he having? Grand Mal..partial complex....etc?

We have yet for the doc to determine what kind my hubby is having, but it appears, to me, that it has gone from partial complex to grand mal two nights ago. Not a pretty sight!

I'll let you know what we find out.

Sorry, I haven't replied to this sooner. My husband had a grand mal seizure and you are correct that is was not pretty. He has had hundreds of auras and possibly a second grand mal before going on meds. We just had to up the meds about 3 weeks ago due to increased auras. Doctors said that basically the seizures may not be related to the ALS but that there is an increased chance for seizure activity in any nuerological disease. So it is sort of the chicken before the egg question. I am sorry that you have both in common with us because it is like a double whammy.

Totally off subject but why would a good ole texas girl have a Nebraska logo? Sorry but I live just south (of Neb.) lol and I'm kinda smart-a. Don't mean to belittle a serious thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back