Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
FR
State
tarn et garonne
City
valeilles
this week i have to decide. Getting too bad to wait enby longer. but is it worth it just to watch and ewperience further deterioation? Would you peggers do it again or with hindsight would you have thought as i am thinkiing - oh let's get it all over with. Fed bup with sufferring............
Love to you all

Iris, no peg here yet (partner) but from what I know most do not regret it. Plus dying due to lack of hydration, and from starvation is meant to be prolonged and harsh. All the best, Dani

Do it Iris. Almost everyone hates to have it, but almost no one regrets getting one. Love you Lori

Iris, I had my peg placed in Dec. 2010 and while initially it was painful, the pain is now gone. I do not need it yet but now I have it for when I do. If you cannot eat you would be wise to get one. There are those who choose not to, it is a very individual decision.

Do it, I don't believe you will regret it. Everyone I know is thankful they did it and most wish they had done it sooner.

Iris,
I can't answer your question. As you know I'm not the pals in our house. She's on her second peg. Endless trouble with the first, second works like a dream. She says she'd do it again.

If it were me I would want to ask lots of questions about what it would be like if I got a peg and what it would be like if I didn't (I'd also want to know what the journey to death might be like if I didn't. What kind of suffering, what support etc) You know how the docs can be sparing with their info sometimes. So my tuppence worth would be get the info & then make the best decision you can with the lights that you have.

Glad to see you online & sending hugs & love

Hi Iris,

My husband had his placed in 7/10, a few months after diagnosis. At first, he wished he had waited. Even though he is not using it yet, he is glad he got it ahead of time. He is so much weaker now than then, that he recognizes it would be very hard on him now. He has just begun to choke a bit, and it is ready and waiting.

Iris, as a doctor put it bluntly, which one would they choose, to die of pneumonia or some breathing problems or slowly starved to death? I know my husband was very grateful after he had the peg done. He even relished the feedings and cry each time I do, thanking me each time I do it also. He told me it is life and cries. He was so hungry before the peg, so hungry and I could not do anything about it. As a result, I am most grateful for the peg. Look at it this way, once you have it, you can choose to use it or not. If you need to use it, you have it. If you prefer not to use it, you do not have to use it.

In February it will be two years with a peg for me and I don't regret it a bit. As a bulbarian it has allowed me to survive especially when my arms and legs still functioned normally but was unable to swallow anything. Even if you only use it for water it is worth it and beats choking on everything.

thank you everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back