Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
North Carolina
City
Sneads Ferry
Hello fellow PALS. I have an equipment question. The delivered the hospital bed for my husband today. The good news is that they made it extra long so he will no longer have problems with his feet hanging right on the foot of the bed. But the mattress seems like it really stinks. I am sure it is what insurance pays for but I was wondering if any of you had a comfortable mattress that you could recommend so we could order one that is a little bit more supportive and comfortable, yet will still move with the motorized bed (and it has to fit extra long twin). We have had a most exhausting day with about 8 different visitors, not to include the PT and the company spending 4 hours here delivering the bed and hoyer lift. Any hints would be appreciated as we want him comfy in his own bed, if possible.

I think this is the extra long version of what I have, which is an Invacare mattress with innersprings.http://www.invacare.com/product_files/5085-84_140_A.jpg

Over the mattress I now have the ROHO Prodigy system, which I learned of through Joel's site. It takes some time to get it pumped correctly in the three parts (which snap together and fit an extra long bed).

On top of that I use a sheepfleece mattress pad which I sleep directly on. It is washable and dryable by machine at home. (see bottom of page, "Full Fitted Medical Wool Bedpad").
Prevent Bed Sores | Medical sheepskins and wool mattress pads prevent bed sores.

I didn't start out with the ROHO Prodigy system, but rather with an alternating air overlay. I really liked it until my muscles were no longer able to keep my spine and hips from hurting from the air pockets.

I'm very comfortable and cannot turn, so I stay in one position-- on my back-- all night, with a large (25 inch square, I believe) pillow under my knees. My feet hang just over the edge of the pillow. I haven't had any sores from the bed at all.

I hope you can get your husband into a comfortable system.

Ann

Thanks for the quick reply Ann. Both of those sound like excellent ideas as he had a very fitful night trying to sleep on the bed in our extra bedroom last night. I tried turning him over two different times but he still wasn't comfortable. One other question, if you don't mind. He is getting a bit of a heat type rash on his back when he sits all day in the lift recliner. Any ideas on helping with the skin not getting so hot?

Cathy (I hope I'm right with your real name), A jar of Calmoseptine would be good now to have on hand. Calomine Lotion--think poison ivy as a kid--is one ingredient. I found this really helpful with rashes and sores, and keep it around. I hope it's ok to say you can find this at Amazon. It cleared up rashes for me very quickly.

The place that sells the mattress pads made of sheepfleece also sells sheepskin... a small one would be great to have under your husband's back. Sheepfleece wicks moisture away. My wheelchair back, seat and arms is covered with sheepskin. I used it all summer (in airconditioning) and also wear Uggs year round due to cold feet from ALS.

The short term answer is also using any natural fiber; pure cotton, for instance. A velour bath towel may work between his back and the chair. I can't vouch for it, but I know there is modern sports clothing which promises to wick moisture away. I've read, incidentally, that there are some patients whose skin is affected by this disease and as a result, they can itch terribly or can sweat even when cold. Just a weird symptom.

Hope you can find something easily that does the trick!
Ann

I've been using a hospital bed for almost two years. The mattress that I have is a Spring Air Back Support Comfort Flex Chateau. It's an XL twin, very comfortable and works very well. Queen-size sheets work for the mattress.

I put a memory foam topper on mine, good to me..

Can someone enlighten a bit more about sheepfleece pads? Do they they reduce pressure sore risk?

Hi, I'm one who uses it. I had needed padding for the heels of my feet a few years ago (where my onset is), which were inexpensive fake fleece with a strap. I still moved my feet in bed and turned, so these strapped on covers would twist all over--but they still cleared up the red areas where I was beginning to have pressure sores.

Although I use pillows in bed, which means I'm not totally on sheepfleece, most of me is on it. I never turn over, my arms barely move, and legs are stationary all night. And I have no pressure sores. Actually, I'm in bed for over 12 hours at a time, but only use the hospital bed controls to raise and lower head and foot; I am not changing position regarding pressure points.

Mine is washed in the washing machine and dried in the drier. I got a pillow cover at the same time for later, if needed. Heads can also get pressure sores.

Though I cant tell you specifics on why, I can tell you that yes, sheepfleece pads help reduce pressure sore risk. Skin breaks down easier on regualr sheets. It also helps keep the moisture off the back.
My PALS has had pretty much no movement and has a trach and on a vent for 6yrs now. He very rarely gets pressure sores. Some small ones by his tailbone every now and then. Never get past a stage two sore. What we have been doing is make sure to lotion backs and any other pressure point ie: elbows, heels, buttocks, etc. Two times a day. When we get him up, and when he goes to bed. Also, aways make sure that whatever PALS is lying or sitting on has no wrinkles in it. This is very important as pressure sores can be disasterous.
If PALS is still able to move about, these things arent quite as important- still are, just not as much.

Anns post just reminded me (Thanks Ann!)- for most folks, changing positions is important. In the healthcare field, we are told that someone should be moved every two hours. My PALS is pretty much stationary all day. I think because we work so hard at what i said above, and the fact that we try to keep him really well hydrated- he doesnt have horrible skin breakdown.

My PALS has begun to have a lot of lower back pain while sleeping in the bed. We are getting a new bed tomorrow that is a King dual control with a better mattress. The sheepskin should be coming soon but I guess I was wondering if the rest of you have any pain while trying to sleep. He never had back pain prior to the ALS diagnosis but now it is almost a constant at night time. We are seriously getting no more sleep than an hour at a time at best, between turning him over, the pain, trying to urinate, and wanting a drink, then taking Ibuprofen, etc. That makes for a long day for both of us the next day. I called the doctor about a sleeping pill but he was hesitant because he said it slows down breathing but said he would prescribe if we felt it was absolutely necessary. I do worry about the pressure point thing and his back also wakes him up itching. He asks me all day long to scratch it for him. I have been applying lotion quite frequently but it isn't helping much. Last night, I decided to try some diaper rash treatment because he was itching after I went to turn him over and realized his back was drenched in sweat. His feet also are broke out in a cold sweat 24/7, which makes standing and pushing in the chair difficult because his feet always slip. Ann would appreciate that a man and his wife came yesterday and prayed over Eric and anointed him with oil. I appreciated it too and I am a Christian but the way the man presented things was, "if Eric had enough faith, God would definitely heal him!" My beliefs are a little different in that, I believe God can do miracles at any time and if He chooses can heal my husband instantly, but it is not always His ultimate will that someone be healed. His plan may be a different one to heal others through someone's illness. I think Eric is more discouraged than before the man came because I think he is struggling with faith right now and felt maybe he is not worthy and I hate that. This disease just throws so much at us in such a short amount of time. Thanks to all of you who listen and provide wisdom and guidance.

Catcaniac: I feel for you about the "not enough faith" allegation. It's an unnecessary burden to place on him, and we know the stress of having a fatal disease is enough without this burden. My mother does the same thing to me. Consequently, I don't want to be around her.

It's easy for a "faith healer" to visit and leave with that message, but they are doing a great disservice to your husband. I welcome prayer from anyone, but don't put that burden on me. Tell him God will take care of him, it just may not be in God's plans for him to be healed. Keep the faith and may God grant you comfort through this difficult disease!

Randy

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try sheepfleece. My ALS also started in my feet. although I can still move a bit, my heels get sore as does the side of my great toe when I turn the foot on it's side.

I'm using a pressure varying mattress, but the section under my feet seems to remain too stiff.

Bless all of you,
Randy

Dear catcaniac,

Regarding back pain, are you placing a pillow under his knees? As this has progressed I've had to change the size of pillow, and went from a feather filled (dense and flat) "boudoir pillow" to a big square European pillow, which goes under my knees, extending to my feet, which drop off into space. Also, raising both foot and head, experimenting with the degree of angle makes a huge difference.

I did have that kind of experience you endured yesterday. It's a total misrepresentation of the Lord in my opinion. I'd written about that subject in the Christian thread and am including it here so you have no need to try and find it:

It is heartbreaking to learn of PALS who want to believe that God always wants to heal here on earth, even to the point that it's a sin not to believe that Jesus came specifically in order to physically heal all. In fact, that was NOT His mission. All His miracles were performed in order to show that He is the Savior from Sin, the Deliverer to Eternal Life. He made this clear when he healed the paralytic in Matthew chapter 9.
Matthew 9:5
"Which is easier, to say, ' Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up, and walk'?

Obviously anyone can say, "Your sins are forgiven". Jesus proved His Godhood by the miracles, that His salvation also would be understood.

Luke 9:23-24

23And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.

24"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.

Philippians 3.17-21 speaks to our reception of the cross.

17Brethren, join in following my example, and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us.

18For many walk, of whom I often told you, and now tell you even weeping, that they are enemies of the cross of Christ,

19whose end is destruction, whose god is their appetite, and whose glory is in their shame, who set their minds on earthly things.

20For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ;

21who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself.

catcaniac, please suggest to your husband that merely trusting the Lord rather than being offended (I realize this can be a very difficult thing) is in itself glorifying to God. I pray you will both know His supply for every need... and we know it normally comes at the time it's absolutely needed, and not before. His peace is my prayer for you both.

Last edited:
I just noticed your problem with his feet sweating and slipping. Try either putting sticky soled socks on him (used in hospitals) or else using fleece lined slippers, which since he's sweating so much would probably require two pairs--one to use while the other dries. Also, add cornstarch to the slippers to absorb moisture. I wear UGG boots in my chair from the time I get up until I return to bed every day, year round. If barefoot, my feet slide off of any surface or else jam into a corner.

I put a memory foam mattress topper also, it works very well and inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back