Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
US
State
Wisconsin
City
Madison
My daughter left for Mexico last week. At that time I could climb 2 steps to the stairlift and sleep upstairs. 2 days after she left I couldn't get upstairs and had to sleep on the couch. Tomorrow my bed is being moved downstairs and the only shower is upstairs too. I got up there yesterday during the day and just bawled in front of my bathroom. I knew it was going to happen, but 2 days after she left? It's got to be more than a coincidence. I can't even stand up to go the bathroom. On Thurs. hospice is giving me a catheter. My neighbor spent all day rearranging the downstairs to accommodate my bed. I can't believe I will never have a shower again. I'm not dying this minute, but this seems unusually cruel.
Thanks for listening.
Carol

I'm so sorry Carol. I wish I could say something to help you:)

Carol, it stinks and I am so sorry.

Carol it is terribly unfair, and life does stink at times. I just was looking if their is any way to keep showering for you. There are portable wheelchair shower units that can be hooked up in a kitchen, but they are pricey at about $2500. Maybe Stu at Guardian Angels could buy one and it could be passed around to PALS as needed. I'm thinking of you Carol and I wish I could make things better for you.
Laurel

wish it wasnt so

I'm so sorry Carol. I know the move downstairs, leaving all you have there and the shower too is huge. When we had to do it I bought a colourful bowl & multicoloured towels to brighten up washing by the bed. I do hope your move gets brighter as time goes on.

Sorry Carol;

Find a good movie and escape for a bit,

Hang in there girl.

Carol I am sorry to hear about your progression. We are here for you. Stay strong and keep the faith!

Carol, it stinks, we feel for you and understand.
Tom

Thank you all for commiserating with me. I didn't cry today. The movers got the heavy adjustable tempurpedic bed down here and it fits in the dining room, but it looks like I'm running a bordello from the front door! Next. ..I can't wait to sleep on it again. My friend, who've I hired as an aide, has figured out for me how to wash my hair in the kitchen sink by laying back in my PC. And then I'll use tubs to wash myself. I can do it myself (thankfully!) because my arms are still good. It gives me the creeps to have somebody else wash me. yikes. But I feel better about it now. Thanks again, Carol

Hope you have a good night's sleep on your bed. Your friend sounds very inventive. I'm glad you have her and I'm in admiration of the hairwashing scenario. Sounds like it will do great. If not there is a great inflatable hairwashing basin that can be used lying on the bed. It does need someone else to do the hairwash - but then why not, it's just like a hairdressers, but at home.

Carol when my neighbor broke both of her legs and one arm being thrown off a horse, her hubby used to wheel her out onto the back deck, run the garden hose through the kitchen window and hook it up to the sink, and then hose her down in her wheelchair <LOL>. I'm glad you got your comfy bed downstairs, and that your arms are still good.
Laurel

Carol, sorry for all you are going through. I so understand the diminishing mobility and the challenges it brings to simple everyday things. As someone who has only recently started getting washed by others (in my case 10 different home care aid women) I have to say that once you get used to it, well, it's not that bad.
As for the bordello, as long as you're comfortable thats all that matters.

Any chance of having a shower stall put in downstairs? My brother in law could put one in in a couple hours.... and he has, many times.
It could be anywhere where there is already water pipes... like even in a corner of the kitchen.

mnd just is the pits. Sorry carol, you are hitting the bad spots. I HATE having to be hoisted on to my chair, the bed, the commode. It is so uncomfortable and stressful. So I am glad you have got sorted out AT HOME. That is the most important thing, believe me. If I could find someone.....but you all know that story.
But with you, Carol. And if it looks like a bordello, you might have some adventures;-)
loads of love. Living downstairs is nice.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back