Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
CALIFORNIA
City
san diego
knowing now where this road will lead and knowing all the loss that will come with it,what helps pals be head strong? i cant stopp thinking do i want to live in a body that does not work. i can fight a cold with rest a medication knowing i'll get better. now how does a pal fight what cant be beat. I use to look forward in tomarrow now its just the day after today

now how does a pal fight what cant be beat. I use to look forward in tomarrow now its just the day after today

One day at a time. One step after another. One spoonful after another. (Unless you're a bulbarian :lol: )

Sounds like a bunch of cliches from sappy old movies, but it's worked for me for four years.

Just don't borrow tomorrow's trouble today.

My PALS has difficulty with this too. Religion is not a big player in our lives. We only have our small family, but financially our family is better off if he is still living. His Giants won the World Series, and he's hoping for a Steelers win in the Super Bowl. I think for him, being here is better than being somewhere else. Living with ALS sucks, but it is still living. He knows he has me who will be here always for him. I do not always do the things he needs done his way, but he still is here to teach me the thing the right way(his way)

Most people know I am a Christian and get my strength to cope from God. Sorry you asked yet? LOL.

Here is how I cope; How I Cope

I look forward to seeing who's life God will allow me to impact each day. Whether it be family, friends or total strangers I hope to encourage, inspire and be a blessing to someone each day. Yep, ALSucks but I didn't cause it and I can't fix it, so I'm just living each day the best I can

My strength is the joy I have in the Lord. Like trfogey, I only look at today, knowing that He will give me what I need later. He always has done this. As KC2U2 said, I also want to help someone, by encouragement, by empathy, and if they are willing, by showing God's love as the way of help.
Ann

I still look forward to tomorrow. There is always something new happening. We have to accept that our bodies aren't going to work and be content with the life of the mind. Observation and communication can still be part of our lives. We can read, listen to music, watch tv and movies. New content comes out all the time. We can talk with people (slowly), and interact on the net. Many of our most valued contributors here are severely disabled, but they still keep in touch with friends and share ideas. Life with ALS can be tolerable, I believe, if we accept our limitations and make use of technology to maximize our opportunities.

Well, you don't have any choice in the matter. You can be miserable and make everyone miserable around you, or you can make things easier for everyone, including yourself if you cooperate and try to maintain cheerfulness. How do you want to be remembered? You can make people wish you were gone, or have them miss you already. As caregivers we don't want to have regrets that we should have done something more. As PALS I would think that you'd want people to honor you with commending you on being a "good sport". We should try to make others smile. It is a much better scenario than making them cry. Oh yes, we have a good cry often, but get it over and go on with the day.... one day at a time.

My strength comes from my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. This disease is quite overwhelming. Some days are good; some days are more challenging, especially when the day reflects a new freedom loss.

I know I can roll my heavy load and anxiety onto Christ who is more able to bear it. He is my Rock and Refuge. I know I am safe in Him. Without Him, this disease would frighten me.

While I am still here, I hope to encourage and strengthen my brethren while waiting for the Lord to take me home, which will be much better. However, either way I look at it, I am a winner in this battle.

Judith

My strength comes from the Lord....when I am not busy being completely angry at Him. Tonight, I have little strength. But to be honest, if it weren't for God, I would have no strength.

I don't understand this disease? Today, I have been watching a part of myself, my wonderful hubby, disappear before my eyes, one moment at a time. I don't know why. I question why. I am angry and selfish. But determined that my hubby will never know that I even doubt that God has a plan. Because, my life, has been one challenge after another. But God has shown me the way through each challenge and reminds me daily that the reason he puts people and challenges in front of me is because that I am His disciple. And He has prepared me to live a life that impacts others. My gift, is the gift of service. I will live it and wonder what God is preparing me for next. When I graduated high school, I began Oklahoma Baptist University as a Foreign Missions major....that's right, I knew he was calling me to be a foreign missionary. But, like Jonah, I began to run from God. I should never have done that. He would have made my life so fulfilling had I just allowed Him to bless me. Most of my life I have been trying to please self rather than fulfill His will and plan. I should be ashamed as I have had more wonderful things than Jesus ever imagined and yet many times I remain selfish. I love my husband and care for him so that the Lord will know that I am listening and ready to do His will. Many of you may not be Christian and that is okay because it is a choice that should never be forced on anyone. But know that I will be supportive on this forum and will listen to anyone regardless of their beliefs and backgrounds. We are all facing a force that is beyond human understanding and need others to help us through all the trials and tribulations.

I can only hope that my husband will find strength as he is the one who has daily pain and suffering, watching his young life waste away before his very eyes. If only he could bring himself to come to this place where there are others feeling the same pain he struggles with.

Thanks to all the supportive people on this forum as, at times, I am sure they do not know the impact they have with helping others deal with this frightening disease. I will try to continue to be strong for those in need. Please don't hesitate to contact me for an ear to listen.

Cathy

God! Is my strength, without him i would be lost!
Patsy

I get my strength from my PALS.When I see him persevere (even if it take a breakdown to get there).

I, too, get my strength from my PALS. He is the strongest person I know and is and forever will be my hero.

I get my strength from my grandsons and the fact that I don't dwell on what I can't change.

I gained mine from meditation. Yesterday my PALS slept entire day which I find sad and depressing, the day was cold and dark and over all that were added rental woes. I found myself worried sick till my heart start palpitating. I went to meditate and calm down. The day continued being bleak. I went to meditate again some time later, half an hour each time. In my mind I see the core of my life like a solid stumb grounded on earth, nothing is important but that stump I know to be my life with God and spirituality. That stump is my spirit, and when I die, I leave my body and that stump will move onto eternity hence rental woes can't do anything to me, it is not the core. I went for a third and this time I found myself moving not just into a place of calm but peace. Those states are healing. I sensed all will be fine. Minutes later a phone call affirm my feelings. When I find myself unable to do anything, I sit in meditation, empty my mind and let God take over. I do not think or reflect, simply empty my mind and let God fill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back