Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
Hi, my doctor has prescribed Atenolol for me to try to reduce the choking, gagging mucous. Has anyone ever used this? It is primarily for hypertension (which I don't have) but has some side effects like weakness, indigestion, constipation, dizziness, cold extremities, depression, insomnia, nightmares, all things which I don't need.

I have the pills to try but I'm waiting to hear back from the doc about these concerns.

Dont know a thing about it Barry- sorry.
I did need to ask though- dont you just love it when you get a med that has a four page long list of crappy side effects, and then you have to actually decide what would be worse- the original problem, or the side effects?
I hate that. Maybe I should put that in the "i hate it when" thread.
Hope it works for ya.

Hi Barry,
I was on atenenol for BP, but it slowed my pulse to the 30's,made me feel weak and short of breath.
Pat

Barry most of the beta blockers can make people feel tired for the first couple of weeks, and then they adjust well and don't experience the tiredness. But the timing might not be great for you to start something new right now as you mentioned you were feeling increasingly weak the last while. It's one of those difficult decisions-- are you weak from coughing and hacking guck so often that it would be worth while to try the drug and go through two weeks of your body getting used to it? I think you would know within 3 or 4 days if you can tolerate it. Good luck.
Laurel

I used it for a few years after my by-pass. Never noticed the bad effects you describe Barry.

AL.

I have taken Atenolo for years and it was prescribed for Premature Ventricular Contractions in my heart. I have never had any bad side affects. Hope this helps.

That is most interesting. I will ask his nurse about it. I take 25 mg atenolol daily for mitral valve prolapse and palpitation. I have low blood pressure hence the low dosage. I do not notice any side effects also. If your doctor prescribe it, it might help my husband also. The patch worked for a while and now he is getting a lot of mucus again, especially at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back