Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I know that decisions like this are personal.

What I am after is more technical. How do you think this will affect me in later stages with breathing? I do not inhale.

Thanks

Please, anyone correct me if I am wrong- here is my opinion on this. I would think if you are not inhaling, your main issues would be more mouth and throat cancers. Im guessing that you must inhale a little, even without meaning to- during the drag on the pipe. So it could still affect your lungs and speed up the breathing issues.
My advise would be to quit. I am a previous smoker of cigs, so i know this is easier said than done.
And now, after re-reading my response, i am realizing that all i have done is pretty much think out loud, and have given you no facts.
Thats not very nice of me. Anyways- someone else will come along and give you a better response.

If you have breathing issues inhaling or second hand smoke still do the same thing. I quit 2 months ago after 40 years. My lungs feel better, but if a family member smokes around me my breathing gets worse. I am now on bi-pap and fvc raised by 10 already. Better to not smoke at all.

I quit about 6 months ago for my health prior to any hint of ALS. I still enjoyed it.

Was thinking now....what the *** ?
Just don't want to shorten things

I know this is different, but am thinking it may still connect. We heat mainly by woodstove, which when burning along emits no odor or smoke. If when loading it, however, there is escaping smoke, I now feel a sense of suffocation. Last winter I didn't like the smoke. This winter it is serious. I believe you'd regret having gone back to the pipe... unless it's easy to quit whenever you want to. If it's easy to quit, I agree--enjoy. I have another question. Did you ever have sparks get onto your clothing? That could be very serious.

Well if you were bulbar onset there would be no way that you could close your lips around any pipe. I agree with everyone else, as your breathing gets worse added smoke, inhaled or not, is going to be bad.

Micheline was a cigarette smoker right up until 3 days before her death. I tried to convince her to quit, even went as far as quitting myself in solidarity, not to mention for my own health and longevity. (I had just found out I was type 2 diabetic) She refused and often told me it was all she had, and she enjoyed it and quit or not the outcome was going to be the same. So I stopped asking her to quit. I say do what feels good and do what you want. Not inhaling does increase the risks of mouth cancer but in the end it is all about what you want and what makes you happy.

I would say that if you can tolerate the smoke then what the heck, but only on an occassional basis. My buddies and I smoke an occassional cigar, I do it less since my diagnosis but still enjoy one now and again. I had one yesterday, it was the first time in about 2 months but was very enjoyable. I would not reccommend doing t daly but that is your call.

You can try, but you may find that smoke of any kind (or any strong odor) will leave you breathless and gagging. I'd go for the brownies! ;)

What's the worst thing that can happen? It might kill you. So might a bus. If your breathing gets crappy, quit. You have to do what makes you happy. Within reason though.

AL.

CJ- are we talking "special" brownies? Hmmm.... and I thought he was talking about pipe tobacco....

LOL....unfortunately smoking that "special" tobacco makes me paranoid; so no benifits there.

I see the Emory folks in a week or so. Depends on where I am on the time line for me to decide, I guess.

The first neuro that diagnosed DaddyO gave him a green light to do whatever he wanted.

Your decision and rightly so!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back