Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
LA
City
Broussard
My last day of work was Thursday, had my appointment with Social Security yesterday so now the wait begins for the SSDI to kick in. It was always a dream to retire at 50, but this wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I'll have two of my sons home on military leave for the next three weeks and my granddaughter will be here for two weeks!:D After that plans for physical therapy and hoping that God can find a way to use me to encourage, inspire and be a blessing to others. I'll also get to as many baseball games as I can

It takes some time to adjust to. (oddly, right?) I actually have not had the nerve to retire yet, am out on permanent disability. It was a bigger emotional step than I anticipated.

Enjoy the time with your family, the timing is great!

Also, remember that you will have medicare coverage after 5 months, but they probably won't notify you of it. Hence, your first SSDI check will have two months of Medicare deducted from it instead of just one. You will have the chance to opt out of Medicare if you wish, but, more importantly, know that you will have that additional coverage, even though most likely no one from Medicare of SSDI will send you anything about it in advance. This is not prescription coverage just the original (plan A) coverage for doctor visits, testing, hospitalization etc.

Congratulations, Kevin. I'm sure that as Rose said above, you have a mixed feeling right now, as life has taken an unexpected twist. The time with your sons and granddaughter is wonderful. I don't have any doubt whatsoever that you'll be the inspiration and blessing to others you'd like to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back