Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
CALIFORNIA
City
san diego
. i think i have had symptoms for about a year. it started in my right hand feeling weak and 4 months ago my speech started to slur. now its gone to my left leg. what should i be asking my als doc. i ve anly seen him once.

If your doc is not a neurologist, you need to ask for a neuro consult ASAP.
You need an EMG and NCS-nerve conduction tests,MRI head and neck and blood tests to rule out other diseases.
You need to stress your fatigue and weakness issues and insist on the above mentioned referral and tests .
I was diagnosed in March 2010, but symptoms started11/08.I wish I had been more forceful In stressing my symptoms.
blessings,Pat

smwelder, have you actually been diagnosed with ALS? Were you given the nerve conduction tests?

Shon, I just did a quick view of all your previous posts. You have been diagnosed with ALS (sorry, this is information for others to read--I had wondered, myself). If you are able to go to an ALS Clinic in your area, they can give you a lot of help in many areas. Your Neuro does need to refer you to a pulmonary doctor if you don't already have one who is testing your ability to breathe.

You may want to be seen by therapists; speech, physical, occupational. Your Neuro can have that ordered if you don't go to a clinic. You will need a wheelchair, I expect. Have you contacted the ALSA for your area yet? They do often have power chairs in their loan closet, but they are helpful in many ways, so do please contact them, expecting a visit at some point to your house, where they can assess what you need.

I don't find the Neuro helpful at this point. The therapists, the pulmonary doc and the clinic dietitian are those who give me direction now. I hope the visit goes well for you, and you do end up with these other folks helping you out.

Ann

i spent two weeks in ucsd hospital thats were the als clinic is in the two weeks i have had so many test done and doc came back with im sure you have als

im pretty well set with con tact with als suport in san diego. i love the fact you all are so helpful with info. i thank you all so much. i try to cover all my bases and ask all you if there things i my ask just in case i dont. although im new to this ive been lucky with all the help. the als vlinic provided me with a social worker and she made contact with my local congressman to aid me in getting medacar faster then mormal .i found out with having als doors open much faster than any other sickness

You've suffered a lot before this joined your life. It does sound as though you have good care coverage at the clinic, and great you can expect Medicare soon. The social worker I have with the ALSA is wonderful. I'm glad you feel comfortable to ask!

Great advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back