Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
An hour of gagging, choking, suctioning, flushing, coughing, cough assisting and just hanging out over my sink and still can't get the goo out. This is just awful :(

I have a request for an appointment with an ENT to look at options but who knows when that will happen

Barry, it sure does sound awful. Also exhausting, and I hope that the ENT can see you soon. Does the dry winter air make it worse, do you think?

Barry G.

My husband's hospice nurse came up with 2 patches, one behind each ear to dry mucus up. It is called transderm-sc dis 1.5 mg. Problem with drying agent is - the mucus gets so thick, it stays under the throat and rattled at my husband's chest so she combat it with 2 teaspoon Robitussin. It has been working. She tried the pill form at first, that one dries too much. The patches dry the mucus but does not make it so thick, they rattled at my husband's upper chest area. Before the patches, he would wake me up with the rattling sounds as he chokes in his own mucus.

Barry I am sorry that you are having such a rough time. Is your hand strength and coordination interfering with you being able to do a good job of suctioning out all the guck? Just wondering if it would be better if when the guck gets so bad that having Beth suction might do a better job? I know that you have thought about a trach. so I am sending along an old posting(different forum) from a fellow in similar circumstances who got one and it seemed to improve the quality of his life. Some food for thought. Take care Barry as you are a wonderful person who deserves only the best and not this terrible s***.
Laurel
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 6:16:09 PM on another ALS forum.

hi Anne,,
sorry to hear about your brother-in-law and the problems he has been having . i got als five years ago when i was 48 . i have another option you may not have considered to deal with the choking problem. i had some trouble with secretions and we were thinking about taking a long road trip . we went to our als neurologist and asked him if it was feasible or if we were crazy to think about driving twenty-four hours at this point in my disease. i had been on hospice three months and had decided not to go on a vent. i was using the bipap occasionally at that point. he suggested i consider getting a trach to better manage the secretions. he said it would make life more comfortable sine it would make it easier to suction out the mucus that was choking me sometimes. i had always thought that trachs went with going on a vent but he said that it was not necessarily so. i did ask the question if this would prolong my life and he said no, it would just make my last days more comfortable. well, I'm way into what's comfortable so we decided to go ahead with getting the trach. we didn't think hospice would help pay for that but they did. here i would like to note that there seems to be quite a variation from one hospice to another. we have a nonprofit hospice and it seems they may be able to do more for patients. so i got my trach three years ago. the surgeon warned me before the procedure that sometimes after the procedure the respiratory muscles are so relieved to have a break that they don't work after the procedure. it didn't make sense to me and since i hadn't been using the bipap much i didn't think it would happen to me. i was wrong. it did happen to me and i have been on a bipap since . no regrets. getting the trach has given me good years I'm quite sure i would not have had without it, and hopefully more to come.
if he is having pain he may need a chair that supports his body better. range of motion always feels good too.
for communication i use an eye controlled computer from eyeresponse.com.
blessings, mark

Barry,

I can't offer any advice buddy but I sure hope you find some relief.

John

Still thinking about you, and wondering if you use your BIPAP during the day? I wonder if you used it a lot more whether the humidity from the humidifier might help thin out the guck and the chin strap would help keep your mouth closed so it doesn't dry out your mouth so much? Then if you used the cough assist regularly on a schedule instead of just prn maybe that would help? Maybe you do that already. Just trying to come up with something that might help.
Laurel

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, I'm doing better now but still not great. I am in my bedroom with the room humidifier going and it is helping.
Laurel thanks for all of the suggestions, I don't have the energy to say much tonight

No replies expected Barry. You probably feel like a wet wash cloth about now. One more idea. Book a local physiotherapist to come out regularly (as often as your medical plan will cover) to do postural drainage with you and percussion. Physio's can be really informed and helpful with things like this, and I would suggest home visits to you so it isn't so tiring for you traveling to them.
Laurel

Sorry to hear that you are having a rough time Barry! Sorry no suggestions for you only sympathy! ((((hugs))))Colleen

Barry, I am so sorry you are going through this. I encourage you to get a trache so you can suction up the goo without having to worry about being able to breathe. Praying for you my friend!

Barry, sorry to hear this. I agree with Joel. As a matter of fact I know of somebody on another forum who got a trache in order to deal with secretions primarily, and is not using it full time at all. Quality of life much improved.
D

Hi Barry,

Sorry to hear you have tough time.
I wish you feel well and gain back your comfort.
Nid.

Barry, I hope you are feeling better today. Thinking of you!
Sue

Hi Barry,
So sorry to hear about the gunk in your throat. I know it is utterly exhausting and upsetting. I haven't any new suggestions, but just want you to know that I'm sending prayer and positive thoughts your way. Hope that this will pass quickly.

Pulling for you Barry. Hoping and praying today is better. Are you seeing benefit from the room humidifier?
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back