Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
LA
City
Broussard
I received my AFOs yesterday and found it a lot more difficult than I expected to walk with them. Thay recommended I work my way into them by using them for just an hour or so at first, then increasing the time I wear them. Just wondering, do any of you use AFOs and how long did it take to adjust to them?

Hi KC,,
I wear AFO's, and I'm wondering if maybe you need a different shoe? What style AFO did you receive? I have the Toe Off brand carbon ones, and have had good success with wearing mary jane style shoes with them. Specifically Aetrex brand. I used to have some photos posted, don't know if they exist any longer (the pics) I will go snap a photo and post again....

The features I found that make a huge difference in the comfort of AFOs are having the strap across top of foot, and the shoe having a removable insole so that the plate of the AFO can be put into the shoe, and then the insole put back in on top of the AFO plate.

Dr Scholls (sp?) makes a product called mole foam, and it can be cut and stuck on the AFO to pad in places where it is too hard against your foot or ankle....

Even in winter I have found that wearing leggings works better than jeans, because the jeans catch on the velcro straps, and once the straps aren't sticky as much as they should be due to stuff accumulating in the grips, the pant legs make the straps come unfastened more easily when I'm walking. But, jeans work so long as you get a wide enough leg below the knee.

I finally found some sandals which would work, actually wore out one pair this summer, and if you are living in an area warm enough to where you're interested in finding sandals, let me know and I'll give you the information on them.

Check out the Footsmart website for the shoes, I get free shipping offers from time to ti e from them, but it never seems like there is a coupon code, they make it so that you have to link through the email they send. I will find the shoe I have that I like the most, and post the link here. (they are a micro fiber and have some give to them, but support across the instep which is key) I also have this same shoe, same brand, in patent leather, and they're cute. Or, as cute as it gets for afo wearers lol.

Aetrex Women's Molly Mary Jane : Women's Shoes : Footsmart.com

If you have a thicker style AFO, I'm not sure if any of the above advise is going to be much help to you...

Attachments

• afos 2010 002.jpg
    afos 2010 002.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10,553
Last edited:
My husband use to wear his with his trainers and his steel toed Dr Martin boots for work, but like Rose said they had to have removable insoles so they could slide under for comfort. It didn't seem totake him long to adjust as I recall.Good luck xx Ang

Gary wears his under his jeans, and it did take a few adjustments to get it so it didn't rub and irritate his leg. He'll be getting one for his right leg soon. He does complain that it feels hard on the bottom of his foot, but hasn't (stubborn?) tried the foamy stuff I bought for him to try. He is afraid the shoe won't fit with extra stuff in there - the insole has already been removed. I wonder if he would like some of those Mary Janes that Rose recommends?

I wear the toe off kind just like Roses, but only on my right foot so far. I love it. It took a few adjustment right at first, to make sure there was enough padding between my leg and the AFO. I wear knee high socks which work good in winter. Rose, what kind of sandle works with these? Id love to get a pari for summer. I wear my AFO under my jeans. The freedom of being able to walk without the pick up the foot and place it, which throws my hips out of joint, is wonderful! Definately have to have enough padding in the insole or it is hard! I get a 1/2 size larger shoe, and wear two socks on the foot that does not have the AFO. The freedom of walking is a joy! Good luck.

Thanks all for the input, I have been practicing at home at night and am getting more comfortable each time. I will probably have to get bigger or at least wider shoes. The type I have fit under my whole foot then come up over my entire calf area. Looking forward to using these, hope to be up to full speed in a week or so. Thanks again!

KC, I kind of figured you had the more supportive (industrial strength lol) AFO's. Still, you will be more comfortable with the right type of shoe, and also the mole foam will help with pressure points. I think Canifet (Teresa) had the type of AFO that you describe, she might have some pointers for you if you send her a message, or she catches this post. Also, it still should benefit you to check out the Footsmart website. I'm not trying to endorse this supplier, just know it is fairly easy to navigate around. I've found shoes locally after looking online at what this company has to offer, just because they have so many! You can search for shoes with extra depth and width, both of which should help you find shoes without having to go up in shoe size as much. Prophet, in particular, is a brand that is orthotic friendly. They offer both mens and womens styles.

AK, Don't you think that men have a bit of a wider selection, just due to the way men's shoes are generally constructed? I agree the removable insole is probably the most important feature! I have boots, Timberland (I think) that work with mine. I have other pairs that are just way too HEAVY! And, I have some adorable lace-up tall suede boots with "sheepskin" fleece tops which should work, and don't at all! no support! My daughter, I think, is hoping they will become hers this winter.

Sequoia, the key with sandals seems to be that there is an indenture in the heel cup (think Crocs) so that the AFO does not slide out the back of the shoe, and of course support across the top of the foot. I have had Prophet sandals which had a closed heel, sandal toe, which worked, and Aetrex which were more stylish, but were harder to wear because they had buckles rather than velcro to fasten straps. The reason the one particular style of Aetrex worked despite the open heel, was the depth with the insole removed was enough to where the AFO could not slip out. But, they squeaked! Loud! I first tried putting the afo footplate in a sock, which kind of worked, then hit on the idea of that mesh rubbery grip fabric such as is used under rugs and placemats to keep them from slipping. I cut it out to the shape of the insole. In order of layers it was: shoe, mesh gripper fabric, afo, insole, and my tootsie. When I say I wore them out, it wasn't the bottom from walking, as much as the toll it took on the shoe from the afos, they're kind of sharp.

Rose, I think your daughter is very lucky to have a mom with such good taste! It has been a very loooong time since my daughter has wanted any of MY clothes or shoes. I hadn't thought about a man's shoe being easier to fit for an AFO than a woman's, but it certainly makes sense. Gary was fit with a generic sort of AFO for left leg 3 months before his ALS diagnosis, so I imagine he will get a more "industrial strength" one for the other leg.

I have played with mine, but just can't get the hang of it. I use on 1 foot right now, and I found that a shoe with a little taller heal helps me some. I thing they should allow a little upward foot movement. Inclines are difficult for me.

index.htm

KC, I probably have similar AFO. Check link. Got them for both legs and was comfortable wth them after couple times. Felt like a tin soldier at first, walking more normally now. Going up and down the stairs is difficult to say the least. good luck!:)

Hey Rose, just getting back to this post, thanks for info about sandals. In the summer I will get them. I had dtrouble with sqeking too even in my tennies...i took a parafin candle and rubbed it over the areas of conatact with the afo and the shoe, and voila...NO SQUEEK. You have to redo it every couple of months but it is well worth it---otherwise you can drive yourself and everyone else MAD!

YIKES, I JUST TRIED TO TAKE MY AFO OUT OF MY TENNIS SHOES INTO A MORE WATER RESISTANT SHOE (WELCOME TO THE PACIFIC NORTH WEST, GLUB, GLUB...) AND IT CRACKED AT THE BASE WHERE IT GOES UP THE SIDE OF MY LEG! WHEN I CALLED THE DOC WHO SOLD THESE TO ME SHE SAYS NO WARANTY! $700 bucks=no AFO=no walking! THEY SAID MAYBE THEY COULD REPAIR IT...BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THERE WAS A DEFECT SINCE IVE ONLY WORN THEM FOR 6 MONTHS. PANIC CITY, AS I AM PLANNING A TRIP TO SEE MY SISTER AROUND XMAS.

i have worn a afo for the past 14 years due to a stroke. it takes a fue days wearing it full time. for your leg and foot to adjudt to the restriction of the brace mine is full foot and goes up my calf. buying shoes now is an adventure. i have to try them on befor i buy them to make sure my afo fits. good luck to you with yours

The AFO's are working out well, I am definitely walking more naturally and much faster now. However, getting up the stairs is a challenge and I haven't risked trying to drive with them on, need to be able to flex the foot. Any suggestions?

KC, for driving I unfasten the strap that goes around my leg, just below my knee. It is enough to allow range of motion, but we don't have the same style AFO. You might need to remove it to drive. Maybe just get yourself a pair of comfy slippers and keep them in the car for driving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back