Diagnosis
12/2006
Country
US
State
CA
City
Yucca Valley
I do not have an ADA sink in my bathroom. My sink is built with surrounding cabinetry, like most sinks. Currently I am able to drive up to the sink cabinetry, stand up, inch myself a couple of steps and stand over the sink to brush.
My standing days are coming to an end and I will no longer be able to use the sink.
I need tips on how to continue to brush my teeth myself. I use an electric toothbrush and waterpic.
My dilemma is getting water to rinse and not making a mess.
I would appreciate any ideas you have found helpful.

Judith

What happens to me is my caregivers prepare my electric toothbrush, wet it and brush my teeth. Remember I am still in my wheelchair and not over a sink. They place a large stainless steel bowl on my lap so once they are finished brushing my teeth they raise it up to mouth so I can spit the toothpaste out. Then there is a bottle of water, with a built in straw, that is used for me to suck some water in my mouth, swish around and spit into the bowl. This is done several times. This seems to work well for us.

Thanks Joel,
I am on hospice so I could have an Aid bring me a bowl. I know an aid will come out daily to brush, but I want the least amout of invasion of my privacy for as long as I can.

Here is another thought! The plastic bean shaped dishes they use in the hospital for such things could have 2 holes drilled in it and have a string they could attach, put around your neck and then when you are finishes they can take it away.

Thanks Rox, I love these ideas!

Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back