Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CT
City
lyme
Has anyone started with weakness in their arms that lead to shoulder atrophy? I'm also having weakness in my neck and wonder if that's the next thing to go.

I know this isn't the usual pattern for ALS, I think its more common to start with foot drop.

No it isn't more common to start with foot drop. There is no usual pattern. Of course there is a lot of people who have had it start in their arms.

What are you searching for?

My husband's weakness and atrophy started in his left arm. It took well over a year for him to notice anything happening in his right arm.

As Joel says it is not unusall, or not less usual to have arm onset. My partner started this way, weakness and atrophy in the left hand (fingers, flexors) which travelled up his lower arm, upper arm and shoulder. Then the same pattern with the right hand/arm. His core (trunk muscles) are also affected, so overall he has more weakness in his upper body than his lower body.

Dani

I agree that there is no set pattern to ALS, each individual will have their own pattern. My atrophy/weakness started in my L hand then to my L forearm, which was only a few months ago. I now have atrophy/weakness to my R shoulder and upper R chest area. I hope this info. helps.

The only thing common in this stupid disease is that some muscle somewhere is going to weaken.

Frozen shoulder syndrome will cause weakness and can surely cause atrophy. I'm a walking example of that!

I have shoulder atrophy and now my neck is very weak. I had heard that the neck muscles were usually the last to go. Is that true?

I have shoulder atrophy and now my neck is very weak. I had heard that the neck muscles were usually the last to go. Is that true?

Not necessarily, the longer I live the more I realize that there is no standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back