Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
FR
State
tarn et garonne
City
valeilles
as I was fed up with punctures in my chair wheels I had them changed for solid ones. I wish now I had invested in lots of spare wheels with pneumatic tyres.
The ride on solid tyres shakes my teeth out and the chair no llonger mounts pavements or other obstacles with ease. Far more dangerous.
Talking about the front castor wheels on a rearwheel drive

Just hope this cacn help someone trying to make decisions

Yikes, Iris. Sorry it didn't work out!

Phil says mine are semi-pneumatic, Iris. They don't "rattle my teeth", but I don't think they can go flat... (I hope not!)

Thanks for the tip, Iris. My Permobil C300 tires are pneumatic. We are supposed to keep them inflated at 29 PSI. I do worry about what would happen if we had a flat tire while out somewhere. The chair weighs 260 lbs, I'm 190, so that's 450 lbs. It didn't come with a jack or anything, even a spare tire tube. Probably be a good idea to carry an emergency tire change kit - bike pump and a spare tube. Wonder where we'd get a replacement inner tube?

Hal, do you have a stem for filling your tires with air? Weirdly, my tires have 31 PSI on the sides but there is no stem. Phil is thinking there is a tube filled perhaps with a high density foam. I asked him your question about where to get the spare tire tube, and he replied that there are standard sized tubes according to the size of the tire... and that even a larger tube is useable in a slightly (?) smaller tire. I wonder if they're available on-line, as most things surely are. I will say the thought of asking "Cheapskate Rehab" for a tube would shake up my innards! (a hundred bucks per tube, Hal...)

My Permobil c300 has solid wheels I think. One is bulging badly and I'm getting both of them replaces SOMEDAY. No word yet from the installer. If it isn't one thing, it's three others. I'm so sick of most everything!

I never thought about the tires! It would be horrible if one went flat while we are out!

well that happened to me once. Luckily not far from home. and the other twice at home. But I think Annie's solution is the best. I really hate these solid things tho of course I hated getting punctures, too.
Now these horrible front castor wheels are solid and the big back wheels are pneumatic - and one has started to go down! as you say, if not one thing, another. And all so ridiculously expensive
i think if you get pneumatic tyres without an inner tube you can fill them with some foam that prevents any flats
BEST OF LUCK TO ALL

Hello everyone, I'm glad this was brought up, it gives
me something to think about. Have a great weekend all.
GOD Bless Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back