Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
TH
State
Phuket
City
Patong
I can just about stand but can't walk. I stand with my hands holding onto a balcony rail and can do a few squats and push back up with my feet and pull myself back up with my arms. I can do a little on an exercise bike on the minimum strength.

I have a tray with a load of small smooth pebbles in it that I stand on and move about giving a bit of a reflexology effect.

I have 2 plastic bottles filled with sand and water I use as dumbbells. I lie on the bed and hold them out and lift them. Sometimes wonder if I'm overdoing it? Someone told me if you exercise and it hurts it increases the speed of your progression. Is that right.

Exercise is not good for areas which are already affected, like your legs--which you can hardly use. Passive range of motion (ROM) is always good, for stretching. However, muscles cannot be strengthened once this disease hits the nerves that "feed" the muscle. It will, from what I've read and also experienced, cause you to lose ground faster, because you cannot rebuild. So, if your arms are still fine, then some weight lifting is still ok. But if you're already cramping in your arms or if there's any weakness, then do the arms without any weights, with elbows bent, and thumbs facing the ceiling--that way it's a ROM for your shoulders. In the same way, lying down, have one hand hold the other in front of you, then with elbows bent, raise them up and over your head--then try and straighten elbows, pause, and bring them back down.

For legs/hip flexibility, while lying down try to do pelvic tilts. Also, bring knees up, then down at your sides with soles of feet touching. And bring knees up to your chest.

Physical therapists can give you drawings of ROM exercises. The earlier you begin, the better. Later, you'll need someone to do them for you. It should keep you from much stiffness and hopefully pain.

As an aside, I began this journey doing much the same as you, not realizing that it wasn't helpful. Now I'm very aware that fatigued muscles cause other fatigue... in my case, even speech problems. "Conserve" is the new word, landofsmiles. Gently do those things you must, trying not to overdo anything, and know that overdoing changes as your body changes.
Hugs-
Ann

landofsmiles - love your name! my neuro said exercise but NOT to the point of fatigue and be careful not to face plant (ie break anything). I agree with abbas child, conserve is a good thing. But I also say there are a couple of phrases that are more applicable to this than perhaps their original intent: (1) "if it feels good, DO IT" --- stay as active as you can doing the things you enjoy! (2) "move it or lose it" --- as abbas child stated ROM exercise is a must or things/joints will lock up faster in my opinion. I can tell a difference when I do or don't exercise. I just feel better mentally and physically if I do something, anything to keep the remaining muscles I have alive and give them the love they deserve for sticking around.
Blessings to you and please do keep smiling!

Landofsmiles, if you look at the bottom of this page there are other threads about your question. Click on them.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back