Diagnosis
06/2007
Country
US
State
maryland
City
hollywood
I have been very fortunate to stay in my home with my three young children since my diagnosis three years ago. My friends and family have had fund-raisers to raise money for my caregivers, wheelchair accessible van and medication co payments. Well the pot is almost empty and the fund-raisers just aren't what they were given the economy. Im not ready for a home. I need and want to be here with my children.
How do those of you afford at home care?

This is one of the many crappy things about this disease. it is so frickin expensive.
my PALS gets a pretty good income from SSDI. But i believe this is because of how much money he made before he was diagnosed. im not too sure of the details on SSDI. Maybe someone else will know. I just wanted to tell you that im sorry for your situation and i really hope that you and your family can figure something out.
best of luck

Erin,

Regarding home care; post an ad at the local university or college's job center. there are plenty of students who are looking for part time jobs, students wanting to attend medical school are very good at helping folks like us. they are nice, helpful and understanding. And it costs lot less to hire them. I currently take help from 3 such students and my experience with them has been very good.

Nishant

Hi, In Toronto, Canada care is offered at no costs to patients depending on there needs.. I am assuming the States this is not the case.

Thanks
Alysha

but how I should LOVE a van that would take my power chair to go out!These are the kinds of expenses one can only DREAM of meeting
Do not forget Helpx.com
APArt from teh woman who ran away with my partner of 8 years I have had excellent resultsµThey help all you like in exchange for board and lodging. Right now I have a beautiful Latvian lady who is ready for anything in helping me .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back