Wheelchair - When the trunk muscles are gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbas child

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Eastern Shore
For those in wheelchairs, what do you do to stay upright when your trunk muscles have gone? I've used the tilt feature in order to keep upright in the chair, but being in a tilt has given me a sore tailbone. Relief for the tailbone is to sit flat, which I can't manage for long, or to be put back in bed, where I have no skin/pressure point issues. Any ideas?

Re: When the trunk muscles are gone...

Hi Abbas, A couple of things might help you.....pillows tucked into each side of your wheelchair will keep you from keeling over to either side. You need to use regular bed pillows to get the length to support you entire upper body. Using a sheep skin pad or a dough nut pillow under your tail bone will take some of the pressure off that area. We made our own doughnut pillow using a thick foam pillow form and cutting out the center. The form was softer that the inflatable pillows and work really well. We just covered it with a pillow case to keep it clean.
Hope this is of some help to you Jane

Ann, my neighbor, who was a parapalegic from a spinal cord injury, had no muscle control from the neck down. He used a power chair and was strapped upright into it. The belt was a part of the chair, I think. Maybe handsome, handy Phill could improvise something similar for you?!

I tilt back. It works well for me and I sit on a ROHO cushion which seems to keep me comfortable.

Thanks for all the ideas. I knew I'd find answers here--I can't be the first person with this problem. Joel, my loaner chair had a ROHO and it was a very long time before I learned how to inflate it properly (I moved around too much at the time, but that wouldn't be an issue anymore). I have sheepfleece currently on my cushion, but also have a pillow case (meaning two more layers) I could try sitting on. The donut puts pressure ON my tailbone, taking it off my sitbones. There's another ring cushion with a hole cut out the side that is for relief. I should try that.

Diane, I have a picture in mind which I don't really like... being strapped in across the shoulders and hips, which I think some folks actually do. We have "sides" to attach to the back to keep me from falling sideways (yes, I do that when I'm tired), but so far, I've resisted... loss of ability to reach over goes with the help.

Thanks again! It's an ever-changing ride, isn't it!

I've ordered a coccyx wedge shaped pillow, in soft foam. The added layer of woolfleece isn't really making much difference. Joel, I made the mistake of buying a ROHO/Tempurpedic cushion for my chair which is miserably hard, and the depth of the seat, which is 19 inches (width is eighteen), causes steel plate to be the edge my legs go over. It was a very bad idea. I think Phil will require me to come with a "guarantee" if he ever has to come collect me. I try not to make a mistake twice but rarely miss the chance to make it once.

Ann, before you get out of bed, get PHil to sit in your chair, stretch out his arms and gather you in. You sit on his lap, he holds you upright and everyone should be happy.
Otherwise, instead of using horrible straps, get out those lovely long chiffon coloured scarves and get someone to tie you in place BUT BEAUTIFULLY; Make it look like decoration.
lOVE to everybody.

Iris, I'll check with Phil and get back to you, you Sweetheart, you.

Someone here on the forum who is a very close friend felt led by the Lord to buy me a ROHO cushion. I am beyond thankful to the couple doing this and to the Lord for His leading. It's hard to write about without tears. In a week or two (or a bit less) I expect to have a very comfortable "sitter".
Love to all and happy tears... Ann

Last edited:

Ann, I've been on a Roho cushion from day one and really can not move around much any more to relieve pressure on my butt. I can basically be comfortable all day in my chair. You will love the Roho, when you get the pressure just right. Keep the pump handy for a few weeks.....Perry

Good to see you again, Perry!

Perry, it really IS great to see you, and thank you so much for the encouragement. I'm so glad you're comfortable in your chair with the ROHO. I don't expect to be moving on that seat either at this point, so finding the correct pressure should be very do-able. I am very excited.

Please post more often, Perry. You're missed around here.

Hi Ann! I just registered here, and see your smiling face on several posts. I want to try and sell Arthur's power chair, and the wheelchair van - and this looks like a goog place to post. I love all the responses above, it makes me miss Arthur. He never complained, but he sure missed being able to chat with "his people" on these forums. He especially loved you! Blessings, I hope you are doing OK. -Debby

Debby, a thousand welcomes to you! Your Arthur was not a complainer, I'm very sure. He always had that warm smile. I hope you find the "for sale" area on this site and are able to make someone else blessed with his power chair and van.

It's so good to see you here.
Love,
Ann

Hi Debbie, sorry for your loss. Put your chair and van in our Used Equipment forum. If you're unsure how too, look in the FAQ section near the top of this page.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back