Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
WA
City
Lake Stevens
I was wondering what is happening when I wake up and have to stretch, flex and tighten my muscles especially legs, arms and hands? This happens each time I awake at night and then of course comes at times muscle spasms. Would appreciate your input on this. thank you much.

I get what I think is the same thing, Rox. If I just straighten my arms or legs during the night or when I wake up, I get an overpowering urge to stretch them. And then they tend to cramp. The good new is that this an upper motor neuron (UMN) malfunction, and UMN problems are considered less dangerous in terms of ALS progression. So I kind of treasure my UMN related problems.

I have found that if I bend the limb the other way when it starts to cramp, that usually makes it go away. If I do this while I still have the stretch instinct going, it produces the most remarkable tremors - my hands or feet will vibrate several inches in each direction. But it's not too uncomfortable that way. Hopefully you can find a way to manage these spasms without much discomfort.

Interesting Hal! I'll have to share this with my husband. He has the same urges when he wakes up.

Thanks Hal,

That is it. I have had this going on for a few months now and wondered why.

This happens to me in the leg/feet area only. whenever I awake in the night and move my legs an overwhelming stretch happens. It used to always end in terrible cramping. Now the cramping comes at random times and the degree of pain fluctuates.

Judy

Oh, yes. Me too! It's been a while back now. I did have a lot of cramping in my feet and legs, and that urge to stretch did always bring it on. Hal, I had no idea that was upper motor neuron. Mine hasn't happened for a long time, now. My legs and feet don't ever cramp anymore.

Do you mean it happens involuntary? Yes when I wake up. My legs want to straiten out, and stretch all by theirselves. I try to slow it down, but it is hard! I also have involuntary jaw movement. If I do not brush with warm water. I will chomp down on my toothbrush, and feel like I am going to break teeth!

Clonus and jaw jerk cause what you are speaking of Phil. same thing happens here.

I did not know this was jaw jerk. I only experience it when brushing my teeth and that when I get to one spot only; behind the front teeth. So weird:roll:

Judy

I did not know this was jaw jerk. I only experience it when brushing my teeth and that when I get to one spot only; behind the front teeth. So weird:roll:

Judy

Exactly....

Well, I'll be darned. I've been exeriencing involuntary stretches on waking ever since way before diagnosis. Didn't know it had anything to do with ALS. Maybe, thinking about it, 3 years before diagnosis.
New wrinkle in my brain.......

Perry

Perry it is so interesting to find how frequent these weird little things are within the ALS community. I'd never have thought this involuntary stretching was related except for reading this thread. Rox, if you see this, thanks!
Ann

So, I stretch when I wake up. I'm not sure if its voluntary or not, tried to think about it this morning, but I was still half asleep.

Here is my question. I'm really hoping someone else has had this happen, or knows what it is. When I stretch my legs & feet, and try to spread my toes, lately, they (my toes) either don't move at all, or they go together instead of apart. Sometimes I can get my right foot to spread, but lefty not so much. Pretty much the toe next to my big toe will go over clamp next to it, and the next two don't move at all, or they move closer together too. I went barefoot as a child growing up in Miami, so my toes have always naturally kind of fallen apart on their own, so having them clamp together is just so weird. Is my brain confused?

Rose,
I have the involuntary stretch whenever I wake up, but I have not encouter the toe situation that you have. I do have the crossing of the legs however, with much effort get them uncrossed:x.

Judy

Judith,

The leg crossing beats out toe clamping in the weirdness category! I've not experienced that... I remember I do have a cross adductor reflex though, the neuro can tap my knee on one leg, and the other leg moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back