What is a good liquid nutritional supplement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judith

Distinguished member
Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Diagnosis
12/2006
Country
US
State
CA
City
Yucca Valley
I am a bulbarian and would like to know what is a good nutritional shake to buy; Any suggestions?

Judy

glen is on ensure and he is doing well.he is also on boost drinks too.i think with the two he is keeping the weight on.

Thanks. I have been looking at Boost and Ensure. Are the ones you use just the regular, or the Hi protein?

Judy

There is a supplement that you can add to shakes or foods, called Benecalorie by Nestle.

You can add this to drinks or foods. I think you can get it at Walgreens or order it online through Amazon.

RESOURCE BENECALORIE | Nestlé Nutrition - Nestle-Nutrition.com

My husband used Boost, but preferred the Kroger store brand supplement.

If you have a PEG and are on Medicare, your nutritional supplement will paid for.

Thanks Brooksea. I did want something ready to drink, instead of a mix. I don't have a peg. My neuro said she would give me an RX, but I found out my Medicare HMO does not cover. :x
I will check out Kroger.

Judy

CJ, Is there anything you do not know about? I strive to have your knowledge. I am a couple years behind you, but am amazed at everything you know. You GO girl!

I only know because of people like you that have shared information! Thank God! Otherwise, we would all be sunk...

Georgia, one of our forum members, shared the Benecalorie info with me.

Carnation Instant Breakfast is also something to consider and it tastes better than the other choices.

I have always been an extreme advocate of a Vita-Mix blender, with one you can make your own liquid meals. Smoothies are exceptionally good and nutritious.

Web has Nestles Compleat formula and likes it. We tried Ensure but it gave him heartburn. Medicare will cover the cost of Nutritional supplements and supplies IF you have a PEG, IF you are unable to eat or drink by mouth and IF your Dr. writes a script and documents that tube feedings are a medical neccessity.

Les also had problems with Ensure through his Peg. We do Jevity now. Good to see you Kay!

Thank you all for your inputs.
I went to Walgreens online and I found "Boost Hi Protein" drink for a really good price. It is (2) 6pks for $12.00. Plus if You but over $25.00, it is free shipping, and they have a coupon for $5.00 off if your order is $30.00.;-)

Judy

Most of the already mixed drinks made Mom's blood sugar climb. They labeled her "diabetic" then gave her glucerna...that gave her diareha. So, we do the vitamix also. She has been great with that for over a year.

I have a Malay girl sttaying here to help me (helpx again) and she has changed my life
Every morning she makes a smoothie of at LEAST eight different fruit and veg of which she says cucumber, carrot and celery are absolutel musts. TO these she adds apple, banana, pear , lemon, orange, peach, broccoli, anything and everything that you have going all blended with a little fruit or veg juice. After a few days all my years of constipation cured, no hunger, everything feeling good and I feel a whole lot better. For evening meal she makes soups once again with enormous quantities of veg/ I heartily recommend these as better than any chemical supplement. I have been a vegetarian for 40 years and thought I ate plenty of fruit and veg but this is a whole new ball game. I promise you it WORKS.
Best of luck and oodles of love to everyone

Benecalorie adds calories not volume. It is 1/4 cup and 350 calories added to other things. It is a oil base and does have a slight film ( like chicken noodle soup). It doesn't change the taste so added to drinks, mashed potatoes, yogurt gives more calories.

Irismarie,
Your help sounds wonderful! Is she with you all day, or just for mealtimes?

Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back