Diagnosis
5/2008
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Snellville
That hangs down in the back of your mouth? Duv*** something? Mine is nothing more than a long flap of skin now that is nothing but a pain in the rear! it hangs down and gets stuck to my tongue, or sometimes it folds, and gets stuck to itself! I hate it! I wish it could be cut off! Anybody ever heard of it being removed?

Phil, you know I have had exactly the same idea! The thingy, the uvula, in my mouth does the same thing as yours. It is just a shriveled up piece of skin that either sticks to the roof of my mouth or to my tongue and serves no purpose that I can see other than to cause discomfort.

Hi,

It's a 'uvula' so you were close. Yes, some people have had it removed when they had sleep apnea but couldn't tolerate CPAP machines. I don't know how effective it was for them but it can be done.

Lorna/Northern Dancer

Sorry guys - don't mean to make light of the situation, but the thoughts running through my filthy mind...enough said...

You know, I always thought that was your tonsil. Where's your tonsils then? I'm confused.

Linda, I had a lot of thoughts about your post but was at risk of showing that my mind is dirtier than yours so I will bite my fingers!

Good question about the tonsils though, here is a diagram from Wikipedia. This guy's uvula is in way better shape than mine, I'm blaming it on all the cold beer I used to drink, kinda like George Castanza's "shrinkage"!

Tonsils_diagram.jpg

Barry, that's a great picture. Very instructive. I need now to learn anatomy in case I have to refer to these things (did you like the way I slid past that?) And Barry, don't bite your fingers...accidents can occur.

Barry - I simply bust out laughing when I read your post. You are hysterical! Beer, huh? I think George's problem was the cold pool?

Hi,

It's a 'uvula' so you were close. Yes, some people have had it removed when they had sleep apnea but couldn't tolerate CPAP machines. I don't know how effective it was for them but it can be done.

Lorna/Northern Dancer

I am not tolerating my bipap, and it might very well be the thingy thats giving me trouble! I'm gonna bring it up at my neuro visit next month. I bet it bleeds like crazy when they cut it off!

Ow, ow ow! Let us know what they say.

Sorry guys - I'm not touching that one. It's just too easy! :)

Hi,

Lorna/Northern Dancer

I had that surgery more than 10 years ago. They removed that "thingy" and put slices in my soft palette to try to combat my sleep apnea with scar tissue. It was good for about a year, then the apnea came back with a vengeance . That procedure has been stopped since I had it . I was on CPAP for more than 7 years before ALS found me.

Glen

Sleep apnea - that's when you stop breathing while sleeping or when you snore really bad? I've been tested for the sleep apnea because of heavy snoring. Didn't test positive for a c-pap though. So, now, I just wake up lots during the night, and snore like a pig...sad but true.

Sorry the surgery didn't do a permanent fix for you Glen. That kinda sucks...

Last edited:
my uvula just curls up to one side,when this happens the side it curls upto(or is it away from?) is supposed to be the weaker side.
your gag reflex can be checked by poking it,me even if i touch my tongue with the toothbrush i start gaging.

i know i do have sleep apnea,had the waking up choking stuff or feeling like i have stopped breathing and can't get it started again...............very very scarey.
so i use five pillows and make sure my head and upper body are propped up.
would not even attempt to lie flat.

So that's what causes your gag reflex to kick in gear, huh? I want mine gone. I gag brushing my teeth, and brushing my tongue...let's not go there. Caroline, I'm really sorry to hear about your sleep apnea - are you sleeping with a c-pap or bi-pap? Have you done a sleep study? If you haven't, it sounds like you need to have one. My dad has sleep apnea and uses a c-pap. It's helped him a lot. I hope you get it checked - I can't imagine how scary that must be.

Keep us posted!

hi linda.
i have had this problem for a few years now but many pillows help and it has not got worse.
not had a sleep study or use anything..........if or when it does get worse i will get it sorted.
i am one of those people who only have tests ect if it really needs to be done,i am not a wuss but just hate all the poking about ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back