Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
Well I had a crazy weekend and survived. My son, who is 21, decided a while back that he wanted to go see Iron Maiden in concert in Edmonton and as he has little experience driving in the city and even less knowledge of how to get around i volunteered to go with him. Not to the concert, I like a lot of heavy metal but not that band so I was going to deliver him and then visit my sister who lives there. We drove into the city (three hours) and picked up Debby for the drive to the arena. As we were driving to concert I stopped at a traffic light at the end of a freeway and the car quit. Just died and no amount of cranking would get it to start.

So there we were in a big old car stalled at the end of a busy freeway with thousands of concert goers trying to get around us. We finally figured that we had to move the car before it got rear ended so with Debby, Andrew and a guy who ran out to help (thanks whoever you are!) pushing and me steering we got the car across the intersection and into a gas station parking lot. Whew!

As we were right across the street from the arena I told Andrew to go see his concert and that Debby and I would look after the car. So with Debby on my cell phone (that is useless to me except for texting) we arranged for and got a tow truck. We had it towed to a repair place near Debby's place and then relaxed until it was time to go back and pick up Andrew. Debby volunteered her car for Andrew and I to come home today as she takes the bus to work. My car remains at the shop and Debby will go see them first thing tomorrow to give them the keys and explain the problem. I think it is the fuel pump but I cant fix anything anymore so i will wait for the call. Thank you Debby for being such a great sister and for looking after me!

Anyway at the end of it I have decided that I am not going to drive anymore unless I absolutely have to. I don't feel comfortable with decreasing arm strength and the inability to deal with any problems. We did Ok but it took way too much out of me.

The following is an tribute to something that I have loved to do since I started as a 14 year old learner 40 years ago. I was never a motorcycle rider but I have worn out more cars and trucks than I can remember. So here's to my former driving career, to Steppenwolf for a great driving song and to the recently departed Dennis Hopper who starred in Easy Rider with Peter Fonda and Jack Nicholson.

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes our way
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

I like smoke and lightning
Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

nicolhopper460.jpg

I had 4 different bikes over the years. 2 in my teens and 2 in my thirties. One of the little things I miss. Great tune too Barry.

AL.

Born to be wild
To be Nature's child
To leap in the air
With never a care,
To plunge in the sea,
Climb over scree,
To walk through heather
Love every weather,
Rain or shine,
This world is mine,
Born to be free,
This is me,
Born to be wild,
Nature's child

Love that song, Barry. I wouldn't trade the memory of my motorcycle adventure from NY to FL twenty four years ago, for anything. I was young and free. Now I'm neither, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I could.

Barry,

Although not a "guy" I can relate to all that you shared, the traffic, the breakdown, and handling the stress. Its different somehow now.

On a cheerier aside, a few years ago, Don and I were in Amsterdam, or at least I think it was Amsterdam, come to think of it, it might have been Milan... anyway, we discovered an original poster from the movie Easy Rider, and he bought it. 8)

Glad you had someone with you! I worry about breaking down too. I am still able to work on cars some, so I have been spending a lot of time replacing old parts on my truck as preventive maintenance. Trying to stay a step ahead of any problems. I like to go places, and drive a lot while I still can.

Barry, I feel for you and the decision that driving is finished. I remember well my "own day" which thankfully did not have all the drama you experienced. Your sister, Debby, is such a good woman. I'm glad she was with you.

I remember "Born to Be Wild" quite well... and was living it when it first was playing on the radio. And, ditto for "Easy Rider"--remember it well, although I did NOT own a bike, and wasn't living that. I'm quite shocked you like any heavy metal:arrow::shock::shock::-D
However, to show my support, I will let you know a very brilliant man we know, whose wife is my morning caregiver, played and listened to Heavy Metal exclusively, and said he really believed there was a link between a HIGH IQ and loving Heavy Metal. So, Rock on, Frett.

The next PZ Pub night get together should include "Born to Be Wild" from the jukebox.

There is something we share Barry, I too have a (almost) 21 yr old music-loving Andrew. My guy happens to love old rock from back-in-the-day, so I get to re-live the past..... which has lately been Pink Floyd and Talking Heads.....

New music can be cool too, I like this...

YouTube- On The Rocks - Bad Romance - 4/23/10

I just saw this thread for the first time. Greg is really missing his jeep and cycle riding days. He's been in a pretty low funk lately, so my daughter and I got him the movie "Easy Rider" for part of his Father's Day gift. He was SO excited! He remembered working the theater as a kid and showing the movie on reels. He had, however, forgotten the ending. Yikes and yuck!

We are on board for the song, though. I feel sorry for the kids who may never get to hear such great music! (Sometimes I really miss being young, naive, and firm.) sigh...

IrisMarie~ love the poem!

Thanks everyone! It is, as I am sure many of you know already, so hard to give up being the driver. I know that I am a terrible passenger and always have been. I just have to now learn to hold my tongue or at least my fingers and try not to make too many comments!

I can still remember my first major road trip in 1976 at the age of 21 when I drove with a friend in my boogie van (remember those?) from Alberta to California and the Grand Canyon. An awesome trip with lots of tunes on the 8 track, Golden Earring "Radar Love", Eagles "Take it Easy", Deep Purple "Highway Star". The best part was the US border guards taking one look at my long hair, the yellow Dodge van with big tires and loud exhaust and pulling Tim and I off for a thorough search. The only reason they didnt find anything was because we had done an even more thorough search before we got to the border! And the coast highway from Oregon to California!

There is something about the road trip, the spirit of adventure, the freedom of the open road and of course being young. Well if was good while it lasted, now I just want to get where I am going, bummer!

You know, "better safe than sorry" Barry, and look at it this way-- it probably will help your family feel more at ease. One less thing to worry about.

My PALS is driving himself 1000 miles to DC this weekend from Florida. I'm really happy he's going to see his family, but really worried for him too. He's going to leave Friday and will be in the Fourth of July traffic. I even offered to drive him up and then take a plane home, but no dice..... :-(

Barry, you rascal. I really thought you grew up without getting into all that. We'd have gotten along great... or been arrested. Growing up is very good. I'm still working on it. There are many people who more or less grew up without scaring their parents, and I married one of them. Good thing we were separated for six years before becoming adults... REALLY good thing his parents didn't know me there for a while.

LaurieS, good comments. Barry now will never again have the chance to get a ticket, lol. I hope your PALS makes out well in his trip and has no adventures.

Good Golly Miss Molly, I can't get over the Boogie Van, Barry... Rhett, you are something else.

Those tunes ROCK!

I miss the toys too.

Glen

Boy and their toys... I miss them for you too, Guys.

Barry, I can't tell you how much I admire your spirit. You are such an amazing man, just like my dad. It never ceases to impress me how you adapt to the changes that ALS brings with such courage and positivity. You rock (quite literally in this thread!)

Big hugs to you,
Rosella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back