Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
US
State
ma
City
lexington
Has anyone noticed that your sense of smell gets more acute with ALS? Smells really bother me now, make me nauseous. I can smell odors that others just barely are aware of.

Yup.

Wait until the bathroom cleaner comes out.

Hell, you can smell the farts before they are made public.

Agree totally.. The bathroom cleaner was one of my first issues... I am a clean fanatic, and boy did the cleaners bother me.. I would gag at the smell.. Gotta love that super duper gag reflex that we get.. I swear I can hear and smell with the best.. Wish my muscles were half as strong..lol..

:confused: Hi
I thought it was just me, I can tell if someone is smoking 10 feet away, I went into the hairdresses the other day and had to come out I couldnt breath or speak i had to gulp
to get my breath
take care
scouse

Yes indeedy. Had to move away from my wisteria even as it was choking me. Smoke is unbearable from afar/

Wonder why it is? Surely they should investigate such a connnection?

Yup, super sensitive nose too. Smoke is bad for me too.

AL.

Spent 20+ years working in a diesel engine repair shop so I can't smell a thing!

This is good to know. I'll let my mom know to expect it if it hasn't already happened. She always had a super sensitive gag reflex, and from the sounds of you all, it's just going to get more so.

I can't even stand the smell of bacon cooking any more. Ditto air freshener and household cleaners.

Perry

same here, except for the bacon that is :lol:
Peter

Had to move away from my wisteria even as it was choking me.
How do you escape Wisteria?:-o We call it the plant form hell, although it is deceptively beautiful!

My husband also has issues with odors!

My husband smells everything. I smoke, and must use a body spray after a cig. He says it takes his breath away(not in a good way) Also onions, fish, and bell peppers. Our daughter tried to get away with smoking something in her room. BUSTED!HUGS Lori

Good to know I'm not alone. It seems to get worse by the day. Hope it eases off.

So far cigarette smoke seems to be the most offensive. My partner smokes - never in the house - but when he walks back in the house after smoking - well, he might as well have smoked inside! Think I will mention the body spray. He is considering one of the new electronic smokeless cigarettes - maybe that will help.

yes i to have noticed an increase in smells some cleaners just take my breath away .i cook for my wife and preparingdinner it smells so good if only i could eat it but i love making her happy after working basically 9 hour shifts to pay the bills and always finds time to help me when needed and so very supportive of me .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back