Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
South Dakota
City
Custer
I was diagnosed with ALS in Nov '09 and seem to have gone down hill since then. My legs are weak and I stumble and fall often (especially when tired). I am currently using a cane when I don't have an arm to hold onto but am transitioning to a walker this week when I am out of the house.

My left arm does not move at all and my right arm has lost strength over the past month making it impossible to raise my arm over my head. Cooking is no longer possible because I can't lift the pans - or stir what is in them! :)

My diaphragm is twitching and I can no longer get from a reclining position to a sitting position without help.

My neighbor was injured in a horse accident in 2004 and was left a quadrapalegic. They re-did their house with elevators, baths with roll-in showers and large bedrooms to accommodate a power chair and a Hoyer lift. They purchased a new van with a ramp and removed the passenger seat for his power chair that locked down. For 6 years the wife was the sole caregiver of her husband - from bowel protocal to getting up every 2 hours each night to turn him. He passed away in Nov 2009 from pneumonia.

She moved away and is selling her house so stopped to see me yesterday. She would like me to have his power chair and the Hoyer lift, and their van (45,000 miles, new tires last summer - Toyota Sienna). The chair cost $25,000 in '04, (top of the line with an inflatable seat) the lift several hundred dollars and the van $45,000. She would sell all to me for $22,500.

Is it a good deal? And I am still having touble convincing myself I am ever going to need these things yet as I read your posts I am afraid I will.

My husband passed away in 2006 and while I have family and friends for support and help this is the kind of major decision I am uncomfortable making on my own. Does it make sense to purchase these items and keep them in the ready (just in case) or to wait till I am sure I will need them and then pay a higher price?

Input welcome - I am trying hard to be pragmatic but am not too sure if I am thinking rationally or if it is my emotions and fright taking over.

Thanks, I admire your fortitude and love your humor.... :lol:

Diane

As one who doesn't know what your own future will bring, Diane, but know what we've shelled out... I say, if that chair is comfortable for you, meaning it fits you well, then it seems like a very good deal to me. I don't know your insurance and medicare situation, but the chair alone is worth this price... Well, they're all overpriced, so rephrasing that... the chair purchased from a dealer would probably cost that. See what others have to say. I do not think it's too early at all for you to get these things.
My two cents with a hug--
Ann

Dianne, We have a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country, 42,000 miles that we got in January. The price on it was $43,000. He has a permobile 300 wheelchair, cost $27,000. If you have medicare, I believe they cover 80% of the cost of the wheelchair. Having a chair and van is a wonderful thing. You can check on the value of the Van on line, but it does sound like a good deal. The Van alone is probably worth more than that. HUGS Lori

Agree with Lori; the van alone is worth the price. (do your due diligence, though. What year is the van? Ask to have a trusted mechanic check it over)

The chair is another thing, as Ann says. If it doesn't fit you, it is no bargain!
Not sure how much your ALS chapter offers; as I recall from Kay Marie, unfortunately not much. So the Hoyer lift could be helpful as well.

Only you know what your finances are. Take your time, consider your options, then make peace with your decision.

Buy it. The price is right even if you have to trade the power chair for something else if it does not fit right.

Diane,
I don't know if you have made a decision as of yet BUT I say, DO IT! A few issues to keep in mind; 1. She is selling to a very selective group of people. Not everyone is going to need a PW, hoyer lift or a converted SUV sooooo BARGIN and get the price down lower! 2. I would suspect that these items were paid for or partial covered by Private Insurance and/or Medicare which means that ANYTHING she makes is clear profit. BARGIN! It always makes me cringe when I see some people that would rather make a dollar off of something that they did not pay for rather than pass it forward. We have numerous CALS on this forum that have been EXTREMELY generous with the passing it forward. :] Dick comes to mind immediately. He and Liz have made such a wonderful difference in so many PALS lives with their generosity of soul. Mare, South Dakota does NOT have a ALSA. :[ I have heard that Western South Dakota is very helpful to the PALS in the Balck Hills. Could you ask a Medical Equipment person to come out and measure you for a PW and see if that one will work for you? It is critical that the chair fits you as the others have said. Lilac scented hugs from the Prairie this morning xo

I think the big purchase it the van. If you are not a vet insurance does not help with the cost. We paid 35,000 for a used pontiac montana. It was probably the most important purchase we made. I say if you can afford it...GO FOR IT!

Hello Diane!
I know it's a big decision to make for you. My mom still struggles with her independence and coming to grips with the idea that she will need all the equipment that gets mentioned to her when she is at clinic. However, the opportunity has become available to you to purchase some necessary items at a great cost. I think, my cents mind you, that you should go for it and take her up on her offer. It sounds like a great deal. Best of luck with your decision. Take care.:-D

Thanks for all the input. I have talked to my neighbor and will be purchasing the equipment from her soon. I figure that if the chair doesn't fit me I can always give it to Stu and get a Rx from the doctor for the insurance company! And since the van is a 2004 with only 45,000 miles on it I feel it is a good deal.

Linda, you are so right about not wanting to think about such purchases because it means admitting I may need them.... on the otherhand, I look at this opportunity as a blessing. (Have to admiit, however I would prefer spending the money on a new wardrobe, a sports car,or a trip around the world but she didn't offer me any of those.) :)

Hugs to each of you,

Diane

Now Diane, first of all, so so sorry for not keeping up to date with the things going on here. Been busy behind the scenes as you know hun. My dad is also struggling with thinking about getting things for the future. Its a hard reality I know. But, I too believe that the heavens have opened up and given you a blessing hun. I am so glad that you are going for it girl!
~Now I cant help you with a new wardrobe or a sports car but if ya ever want to do that trip around the world, I would love to help ya with that one! I cant pay for it, but I can make sure you got all the things you needed, and get you the best price around and not charge ya any fees to do it. I just got to find a way to get myself tucked into a suitcase so I can go too! I love ya girl, you hang in there!
Hugs, Kari

Diane, What a sweetheart you are considering donating to STU.. YOU ROCK! HUGS Lori

Diane - you are a true angel! I hope all turns out for the best. Take care!

diane i think you made a great decision and also looking at giving stu the chair what a kind heart you have.stu is a wonderful person and has helped me out if i could i would do the same hang in there we never know what the good lord has in store for us

That is SO exciting. Cannot wait to see photos and hear how it is all helping you.
To be honest, I feel sure my chair was made for someone much bigger than me tho everything is on its smallest setting. But with pushing a cushion here and there, it works. Oh, I am so happy for you. Yeay! Way to go!
CLothes are BORING. Everybody has them. Not everybody has an power chair and a super van.......
Who needs trips round the world when you can find the birds' nests and the wild plants around you
And sports cars pollute the atmosphere.
Nah! You have made the right deciison

Iris, your post sure made me smile this evening. I was in Rapid City today being fitted for a brace for the left leg. Then met a friend for lunch and nearly fell over getting in the restaurant door. Thank goodness Tim caught me. The brace will be ready on the 16th and I sure hope it helps and keeps me out of the wheelchair a bit longer.

I know it was a good decision to have the chair and the lift and the van in the ready, but darn it, it won't make me mad if I never need to use them! But your reminder that clothes are boring and everybody has them but not everybody has a power chair and van made me reconsider and now I must figure out how to set a new trend in Custer, SD! Thanks .... you helped make my day.

xxoo
Diane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back