Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
I decided yesterday to mail out some letters so I loaded my walker into the back seat of the car and drove to the post office. As I pulled up I noticed that the handicap spot was occupied by a car with no sticker or placard and there were no other spots close by. So I decided to pull up behind the car in the spot and wait for them to come out and because of the layout I was able to do this without being in the way of anyone else. As I waited I was finishing addressing my letters and was a bit startled by a knock on the window. It was one of the post office workers asking me if I wanted to park in the HC spot, I nodded yes and she went into the building and a minute later an older woman came limping out to the car. Right at that time a parking spot right beside her came open so I pulled in there.

The woman moved her car from the HC spot to a spot about 30' away and limped back in to the post office to finish her business. So there I am sitting in my car (with a parking placard) in the slot next to an empty HC parking spot and feeling bad because I made this woman who had obvious mobilty issues but no handicap parking placard move her car and then I didn't even use the spot.

It is getting harder and harder for me to get around and if I go out I really have to think about where I am going to go and how I am going to get around and as a result I really get mad when someone makes it harder. No more Mr. Nice Guy, unless it is little old ladies (or hot chicks!).

Don't beat yourself up too bad Barry. She could get a handicap placard if she needs one. How are you supposed to know it wasn't some young stud who was just too lazy to walk?

I agree..no handicap pass...no parking in a handicap spot!

Barry,

How do you know she wasn't faking it? LOL Mean little old lady!

Barry, I expect all of us who have needed handicap spots and see them filled with no placard get tweaked, but eventually have your experience of seeing that the person is, after all, handicapped. We've also been the vehicle without the placard (forgot to change it from one vehicle to another). Anyway, just wanted to say I know how hard getting around becomes and how much we need those spots.... and what jerks we feel like when we (I) misjudge.

For some obscure reason my doctor had a really hard time filling out the form for my first placard, a 6 month deal. I had to get my ALS diagnosis before she would fill her portion out. And then there was standing in a slow line at the Dept of Vehicles to get it... leaning on a cane.

Barry, I agree, the little old lady could request a temporary handicap (assume they have that there in CA). Mike is no longer driving and the handicap "hang tag" must be displayed whenever we use a handicap spot. Penalties apply if you are not displaying the tag and get caught of course. On the other hand....if I am off on my own, say its a rainy day and I use the handicap spot for my convenience and Mike is not with me, BIG FINE! Anyway, I have been tempted at times when the weather is in-climate but most days I am happy to walk as I am able.

I don't think you should feel like a jerk. You have the right to the spot because you have the placard. Every man (or little ol' lady) for himself! LOL

Dear Barry~ How could you know? Don't beat yourself up about this. It could have been a blessing or even a wake up call for the limping woman. you just never know. Rules are rules and there are always extenuating circumstances. I've never met a mind reader (and would run like crazy if I did!)

barry i probably would of felt like you did ,but you saw no handicapped tag or sticker so who wouldnt question it dont beat yourself up your a good man and maybe she will realize it now and get a temporary sticker

Thanks guys, I went through a lot to get my parking pass so I am going to use it especially when I can't walk very well anymore. I am still trying to figure out how to stuff my walker into the back seat of a Toyota Corolla, it fits but just barely and it takes a lot of energy. So if I have to struggle with that AND walk any distance I am too pooped to do much. I need a bigger car or a smaller walker, I think the bigger car.

I think if I see that woman again (I live in a town of 10,000 so it is certainly poossible) I will talk to her and ask her if she has a HC parking placard and tell her to get one if she doesn't.

I am betting that when you see her again, she wont be limping hun. I think it was a show for you because she was busted! Ya wanna talk about feeling guilty?! I have a handicap place card because I cannot stand or walk long distances. It was last Christmas, and I STILL think about it, and I STILL feel bad! I had to go into Borders Books and was thanking GOD that there was a handicap space open. I got out of my car, and was almost in the store when an elderly couple drove by the spot I parked in and they had a handicap plate, plus I could tell he was on oxygen. He was way way worse off than me! The look on their face not having a place to park! They just drove away. I should have tried to flag them down, and given them my spot and waited in my jeep for another spot to open up. This has actually haunted me! I definitely earned the total shi* award for the day!
Hugs, Kari

Reminds me of a story in our local paper last year. A guy had gone to the restaurant but found the handicapped spot out front was occupied by a very expensive looking car with no placard. Turned out it was a classic Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. So the guy parks farther away and goes in angry, asking the manager whose car is parked out front. He points out a lady who has a walker beside her table. The guy felt a little better but felt he should still make a point. So he goes to her and says, "Ma'am, I can see you need the handicapped parking, but where's your placard?" The lady was apologetic. "Oh, you know, I have five cars, but they only give you one placard!"

Barry.

It's so funny that you should write about this...I've had LOL make me feel like a jerk for parking in the handicap parking spots. I've received dirty looks after parking. No one has really stayed around to watch me try to walk. So if there in a non-hamdicap spot close by, I park there. I actually feel guilty using my placard when I feel pretty good. I'm afraid that some Senior citizen may need that spot more than I do. Teresa

You know Teresa, up until a few weeks or a month ago I was like you but after my post office fiasco I went to WalMart and parked in one of the HC spots there and there were a couple of women who both had to be 80 something parked in the handicap spot next to me. And either one of them could beat me in a foot race. I will only feel bad if I take a spot away from someone in a wheelchair, my new rule (but once I am parked and out it is too late).

I park in the farthest spot I can find now. After watching what happened to Liz, I'm going to celebrate every damn day I can walk without assistance.

Dick

You know, for some obscure reason it takes 7 yes SEVEN months over here to get that parking badge. The doc has written me a ltter to put on the windscreen but S is so afraid of French police (everybody is) he STILL parks somewhere else.........BUt I do not have to walk so it is no big dea
BArry it wasnt as if YOU TURFED HER off. YOu are a good man through and through so no-one not even you beas you up
Love to all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back