Loved one DX
Country
US
State
CA
City
Irvine
Hi all,
My dad has ALS, and is in what I've just seen referred to as the "locked in" stage. He is coming to stay with my family for 8 days while his wife (full-time caregiver) heads out of town.
I think he uses the C 5000 wheelchair (? I'm trying to remember the logo on the side) Anyway its fully motorized obviously, has a head switch and chin devise which he uses to control it. We're making it a priority to get my house setup so that dad can spend as much time as possible outside while he stays with us. My husband built ramps both front and back. At his small house the ramps are difficult, and his neighborhood isn't ideal for getting around in his chair, so he hasn't been going outside unless he needs to which makes me sad. I live in suburbia with little traffic and lots of nice cement pathways through the parks.

I'm wondering if you can take a chair like this into the grass? I know he's never tried that and he might be more willing to try if I tell him I've heard from other PALS about it. We have many great parks near my house and I know he'll be more likely to hang out with me and the kids there for a bit if he can get onto the grass and into the shade.

Or as an alternative, is there any sort of sun umbrella attachment for wheelchairs? (If not, I'm inventing one!) I know they make them for my kids' strollers and I may just buy one of those and see if we can rig it for dad's chair. Again, to get him outside more - I think he'd really like that. (Our weather has turned so gorgeous here this week in So Cal too!)

Thank you very much in advance for any input!

Liz used to tool all around the backyard on her Permobile C300. As long as the ground is reasonably firm he should have no trouble driving it on the grass.

Pepsiman, thank you. I think that's his chair - Permobil. I also Googled wheelchair umbrellas and of course there are several - why don't I think to google these things first? :smile: Thank you!

No problems. I have been on grass, cement, pavement, mud without issue. Loose gravel is not so nice.

There are umbrellas' with a clamp already on the end for attaching to beach chairs.

Glen

My husband is out in the grass right now making a "property assessment." LOL No problem rolling around on the green, green grass of God; just make sure the incline is not too steep (seat belt!) and there are no barriers, such as gravel like Glen mentioned or BIG HOLES.:shock:

I think your dad will so enjoy himself!

...or mole tunnels.

On the other hand WET grass can leave you digging holes with your drive wheels where you might not want them while staying in the same spot and it is possible to skid a little (not dangerouslly) on downhill wet gravel and grass.
After writing this I went down the garden on wet grass and had a nasty lack of control - the chair slide the way it wants to go in spite of whoat you are doing at the controls. But maybe there are better chairs that would not do that

Wet grass and mud are definate no no's.

AL

You said it AL.

But wait until you decide to bring some into the house. You know its going to be after the floors were just cleaned.

Glen

My cleaner lady now stops me at the door and takes the chunks of mud off the wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back