Diagnosis
04/2009
Country
US
State
pa
City
lititz
has anyone been to an alternative medicine doctor in North Carolina that they liked and feel helped them? If not in NC, anyone that has can you share your thoughts on the experience and if you feel like it was worthwhile. -Judie

Hummmmm well my dad is seeing an 85 year old Chinese doctor who does not speak English. His asst. translates. He has been going for about a month. The guy didnt know my dad or why he was there, nor did my dad want to tell him. Believe it or not, he took my dads fingerprint said by the way his fingerprint looked that he has weakness in his legs, and that the weakness has spread. True. He also said my dad is "hot" in his stomach. So, he made up a special blend of tea for him to drink 3 x a day. Took him off of all B vitamins. Put him on a special diet and is doing weekly acupuncture. Now if that is not alternative, I do not know what is! In that months time the only thing I have seen improve dramatically is his voice. His voice was pretty soft before but now it is strong. Slurry, but strong. He is more fatigued. WAY more fatigued. His strength in his legs is declining fast. (a month ago he was looking at doing another cruise or going to Hawaii again, but now he does not want to leave this area because he is to tired and to scared of another fall) He is depressed. Could be the progression of the disease anyway. Do I think he should stop seeing the guy? YEP! I think it is time to kick China man to the curb and go back to what he was doing before it is to late. All I can do is offer him my opinion about it all, and respect his decision. Frustrating!
Good Luck, and if you try it, let us know how it goes!
Hugs, Kari

Judie, I tried going once to an alternative med woman, whom two friends believed in. What she did was ask for all my meds and supplements, then she took my medical history. Finally. using an amp meter and a computer, she tested the electricity in my fingers and toes to determine what the source of my disease was. This was done a month before my ALS diagnosis, and I was feeling very desperate.

I figuratively had pulled my husband up by his collar begging him to not say a word, to go with me and to cooperate... just in case this was real and not a quack. He was willing, took notes and was very quiet, until I'd paid $200, when he asked her for references for her machine, which she promised (and failed) to send him by email. He had already written down all the information from the machine, however, and had what he needed.

She changed her story about my problems several times when I added more "information" which made her diagnoses (there were several) impossible. Her focus was diet, and mine was organic... She preyed basically on folks who eat the typical fast food diet.

When we returned home, Phil brought me into his shop, used an ampmeter and showed me how the dial would jump if he exerted more pressure (which she had done). Then he did a search on her machine and found disclaimers.... and learned she'd committed a federal offense.

I did explain to one (the more rational) friend what our experience was, and the quack lost her place of business locally as a result. Judie, I have to say, after that final experience to find a "fix" for this disease, I have absolutely no respect for so called alternate practitioners. I believe that the only way out is if I'm healed by God.... either here on earth or healed by going to Him.

Hugs---I know this is extremely hard.
Ann

Judie, I've debated whether to share my own stupidity, and cannot find a bookmark named Quackery, in order to be very specific... so please bear with me here. As you can tell, I did try the alternative medicine, and it was a total rip-off. I was desperate and it was a month before my diagnosis.... and two friends, both well meaning, begged me to see a woman who didn't live nearby but came to one of their homes monthly to take care of her "patients".

She asked for all my medicines and supplements, which my very forbearing husband went home to find and bring (I'd known full and well he wouldn't want me to go this route, but begged for his presence and support). She also asked for me to fill out a form to cover my medical history. Then, she used an amp meter (this is where I get fuzzy--in any case, it measures electrical current) connected to a computer, and pressed a bar against my fingers and toes to determine the causes of my illness.

She had several diagnoses which disappeared... into thin air, when I answered questions. The thing she was actually doing was nutritional counseling, and I messed her up when she learned, slowly, that I ate well, and organically. The way this woman kept her patient list was through the fast food American diet, which happens to be the history of both of the friends who asked me to see her.

The machine's name was written down by Phil, who asked her after I paid $200 for information, which she promised to email but never did. He already had what he needed, and when we returned home, did a search, finding that the manufacturer had disclaimers for "any medical diagnostic use or practice". Then, he used the amp meter in his shop to show me how more pressure made the reading higher as he pressed it against my finger. I'd been totally suckered by her. After talking with one of the friends who had provided a place for her business, the offered area was taken away, and I've lost track, deliberately, of this woman's status. I believe, but am not certain, she was breaking a federal law.

The only thing at this time which I believe will cure me is God's healing, whether here on earth or when I see Him. Meanwhile, I try to NOT do things which would perhaps hasten the downward spiral, but no more special diets... in fact, since I cannot cook, I also no longer eat organically. I eat whatever my beloved friends bring.... and am thankful.
Ann

Weirdly, I've written and hit "post" twice on this subject. If they both appear at some point, I apologize for the redundancy. If neither appear, then Judie, the answer was YES and I'd never recommend it.

The name of the quackery is Electro Accupuncture according to Voll, and it uses an Ohm meter rather than amp meter............ I've spoken to Phil, who set me straight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back