Diagnosis
02/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
McEwensville
For the past month I've been taking hydrocodone for pain. It began last summer when I fell and cracked my collar bone. The ER gave me 15 Vicodin. I had a follow up with the VA and when I said I'd like a few more they gave me 100. Once the collar bone healed up I had like 97 left which I of course disposed of properly in my desk drawer.

Fast forward to about February this year and I'm having problems sleeping due to pain in shoulders and hips and even in a ROHO my backside wasn't happy. I broke out the "properly disposed of" hydrocodone and they worked wonders. Now that in and of itself is no big deal. I also have problems with coughing. I get that tickle and start coughing which throws me into laryngospasms. Also excess saliva can end up causing laryngospasms. It turns out that hydrocodone is a strong cough suppressant. In addition one of the side effects is slight dry mouth.

I take 5 mg hydrocodone with 500 mg acetaminophen 2 - 4 times per day depending on what kind of day I'm having and it takes care of pain, saliva, coughing and greatly reduces the number of laryngospasms in one fell swoop. Just thought I'd share.

Jeff, you know you never know what can even help a little. My sis always says she thinks they would help are symptoms, just for the reasons you mentioned. She just might be on to something. Thanks for sharing friend.

Jeff, that is brilliant! Think you should tell your doctor, NOT for his advice but so that he can think about it in prescribing.
THAT IS such good news for you and let's help others benefit from your sharing
LOVE TO ALL

Jeff, watch out for all the extra aceteminophen, it can raise liver enzymes. Les takes oxycodone(percoset) without the tylenol in it since his liver enzymes went up a bit. He was taking it with the tylenol at first, but we switched to the straight oxycodone. The pills are smaller too! I know the oxycodone is on the VA formulary, didnt see the hydrocodone. Hugs Lori

Thanks for the tip. I too have started having problems with laryngospasms. Like you said it's sometimes just swallowing saliva. Think I have a few Vicodin left over in the cupboard somewhere. If not maybe can hit up Rush Limbaugh for some of his stash...

Hal, I like rush, do you think he would share with a ditto-head. Lol... Jeff and I have the same doctor, do you think we could tag team him with the idea?
Going with my son and hubby to Jamaica next week, going to take some along, maybe will help me relax a bit more.. This is when my son being cyber schooled really comes in handy..

Hoping, they have stuff in Jamaica to help you relax. You shouldn't need to bring your own.

AL.

Al, that was funny!

Al, that is what my 15 year old son pointed out. You must think like him. Great minds...lol

Or, is Al thinking like a 15-yr. old?:p

Excellent point Al.

Hoping, I simply emailed Sue and said here's what I want and here's why and they sent the Rx.

Lori, I've been watching and thinking about making the switch. Max dose of acetaminophen per day is 4000 mg and 1000 mg per dose but I have better ways to exercise my liver :p

Any side affects other than positive for pALS?

My husband gets extreme fatigue, just wondering how your energy level is with this medication...

I would love it if DaddyO could take this and it would stop those nasty spasms. They are getting really bad!

Oh boy, I wish I could take vicodin for the back pain I've had for a couple of years. I tried it but after a couple of days my legs shook so badly I couldn't walk at all. Then the doc gave me Tylenol 4. Same thing! I'm stuck with Tylenol 3 three times a day, baclofen and neurontin. It helps but just barely. I can't tolerate the shaking. I'd rather have the pain!

Just remember that these narcotics suppress respirations as well. Not great if your muscles of respiration are weak.

As for feeling fatigued, you won't feel very peppy after taking them. They are considered depressants not stimulants.

They aren't antispasmodics - they simply dull your perception of pain and will make you sleepy.

They make you very constipated.

They should be reserved for more severe pain otherwise you develop a tolerance and need larger and larger doses. By the time you get hit by a bus, they'll have little effect, so...

Just my 2 cents here. Hope it helps.

ND

Okay, well I dont have ALS, (its my dad) but I have chronic pain issues and have been down the whole narcotics road. First off, yes they will make you constipated. If you cant get a grip on the constipation, your doc can prescribe Amitiza to get things going again. Yes, if you take to much it will suppress your lungs from working, and you can drown in your own fluids. Taking vicoden every night will in fact over time not help you sleep, and may have the opposite effect and keep you awake. Yes, they make you dehydrated. Yes, over time it will not work anymore, and you will have to move up to percocet, and if you dont want to move up so the narcotics work for you, it is withdrawal time. Not fun at all. From percocet to oxicontin and then it will keep right on going until you are a zombie. Other nice side effects, you canl be really mean to people all the time and not even know it! HOPINGFORACURE ~ hun, I am a travel agent, and I have been to Jamaica so many times, they call me a "Jamerican" hahaha...if you do in fact decide to take meds make sure that they are all in the original prescription bottles. Dont want any problems in customs. Yea Mon, da stuff that makes you relax be callin Ganja mon.... but got to be careful with that there too, they offer it up on silver platters with the cops waiting around the corner to bust you, and if you are lucky you can pay them off, if not so lucky, have you ever seen the show "Locked up abroad"? Not fun...seems like its okay for the locals there, but if you are a tourist it can be major TROUBLE! Had plenty of clients in trouble with that over the years. Plus, Jamaica is well known for the drugs, they can be looking through everything in customs. (I have even been personally searched when my daughter was with me when she was 2! Poked holes in the coffee cans etc... Please tell your son if he is a teen "dont get cute!" If you need any advice on the fun stuff to do and what to see, just PM me!
Now, thank God I finally found a doctor to fix the major part of my pain, so I am not a walking zombie anymore....still take meds, but only what I barely have to to get through the day. Nothing compared to where I have been. In summary my friends, vicoden....sorry, not good for every night use unless you are in so much pain you have to have it and plan on the road I talked about. Only use it once in a while if you have to, but LITERALLY do NOT make a habit out of it....sorry
~Hugs, Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back