Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
MI
City
Iron Mountain
boy this one can be very difficult to get to but i believe once you accept this awlful illness we share it makes life easier.there are always going to be challenges in are lives but its how we decide to handle them.i truley believe in fellowship which this forum offers and to try to lift the ones hurting when were able.im a christan and believe in the power of the lord but i also believe we all can learn from one another.i take the approach as one day at a time and pray and thank god for a new day and to help me handle whatever is thrown my way as a new challenge

waY TO GO, Jeff.........

Jeff, I agree and I would also say that Acceptance is not "giving up"! For me, Acceptance is "letting go" of my imagined control.

I'm with you Kay Marie. I figured out a long time ago that none of us really have any control over the big things in life. Acceptance is much easier to come by once you realize that. And you're right it doesn't mean giving up, it means moving on and playing the cards you've been dealt to the best of your ability.

Dick

My eldest brother has a big lump on his neck for years, it is inoperable. I asked him one day if he does not worry about it. He replied, "No, worrying is not going to make it go away so why worry?" I find that attitude really helps. The strangest of songs came to my mind recently along with Lead Kindly Light, "Que sera sera, whatever will be, will be. The future not ours to see, que sera sera, what will be will be..." It was a song we sang a lot as teenagers.

About fellowship, it is something I am struggling with. I lived like a hermit for years, I do go out daily, meeting people I say hi to but essentially my husband and I live alone. I do not have friends, my husband has a couple of old friends here who are very helpful. I find it very hard asking for help. I have never really asked help of anyone. When my husband suffered from dehydration one year and we were living on a little island on the Gulf coast, I did not have anyone I could call and called the EMS. They came immediately, sirens blasting and brought him to the hospital. He had refused to go and by that time was almost incoherent.

I had a Church friend there with a husband who was dying of cancer. Every time he fell and she could not get him up, she called the cops who helped her carry him to bed. I always thought, I will do the same but in big cities, are we able to call for help from cops that way? That was a little island and rather informal.

Who would I call were that to happen with my husband, I started asking myself, his two friends, neighbors? I likely would start with them and neighbors though we do little with neighbors. And if no one is available, could I call the cops. He has two daughters here, sadly enough, they do not want want much to do with their father. I cannot rely on them for much, they also live miles away hence essentially I am alone. I have been taken care of most of my life, as a child at home, as a nun, marrying shortly after, living sheltered. I am 54 but often feel 26 mentally. I have to remind myself my sister, a year older is already a grandmother. I have taken over everything and it is always hard the first time things happen like copper tubing bursting in hard freeze, water spraying hard and high. What do I do? Where is the water turn off? I ran around like a mad person before I caught a neighbor on his roof looking at his. Next time it happens, I know what to do.

This is the only support forum I turn to. It does help a lot, reading other's experiences and info given.

gertrude

Such powerful thoughts...
To me the Serenity Prayer reminds me that acceptance isn't weak. It takes courage to be in a place of acceptance. To face and manage yourself to change the things you CAN change and to not get all caught up in the futile energy wasted in worrying or obsessing about the things you can't change (acceptance)

Gertrude, you call 911 whenever you need them! There's sooo many things to keep a handle on, all you can do is what's in front of you. You are brave and a warrior, so each "first" will prepare you for the next time.

I know what you mean about having a hard time asking for help! I've been learning, that letting others help me (whether it's just lending me a loving shoulder to lean on, or help with my son...) it's also a way for others to feel like they're making a difference, and doing something meaningful.
Peace,

It seems to me that neighborhoods are different today than they were back when I was a kid. My parents knew and interacted with many of the folks on our street and around the corner. They often got together for cocktails at each others' homes and listened to Frank Sinatra records. Of course, these were the parents of many of my friends. Most of the families had at least 3 kids and many had more than 4 (we had 9!)

Last edited:
holy moly! 9 kids! yikes! :shock:
Yeah, back when we were kids, we played outside til after dark and parents were out on their lawn chairs with their ice tea (at least, that's what my dad SAID he was drinking!) Today, I know 3 of my neighbors' names...that's it. Some things we lost courtesy of technology advances...:-(

So true about neighborhoods being different. We have been so lucky at the last 2 places we have lived. We are so blessed now, wonderful neighbors. Gert, maybe your ALS clinic people can give you some advice. HUGS Lori

In acceptance lieth peace... the title of an Amy Carmichael poem (she was ill, bed ridden, in pain without sleep for maybe 25 years). It is true. Figuring out when there's no "changing" circumstances, and acceptance is the only way through. Jeff, I'm so glad to hear you accept the lot you've been given.

I have several friends who are loners, including one of my caregivers. It takes "work" to reach out and contact the neighbor, or the person sitting in church. Weirdly enough, we're here in cyberspace feeling free to let it all out... and maybe we need to do the same in "the tangible world", too. Then there are those fighting depression, who cannot reach out but would love to get a phone call (same caregiver told me that).

I've lived here for 33 years, and really among the neighbors only Charlie and his wife are "on my team". That's the Charlie with the gun for those who've already heard the Charlie stories. As a child, living in the sticks near a small town, everyone got together at least for the annual picnic. If it snowed, the teenaged boy down the road walked two miles to town pulling his sled for grocery delivery. But, then came life in the Burbs... and families moved on average every two years. My parents never left that neighborhood, but they did keep two other couples.

My friend who fills me in about staying at a distance tells me it's a series of choices. And then, one day you find out you don't have any friends left. Shudder. Gertrude, maybe call a neighbor to come and have a cup or glass of tea. Tell them the short version of your life as it appears now. Wave when you see them outside and call hello to them. (((Hugs))) to you.

I am fortunate in that I live in a small town in the mid-west where neighborliness is not lost. When my husband was dying I opened my home on Friday nights from 4-8 for Appetizer Night. No invites - just word of mouth. The only requirement was bring a finger food (a bag of chips or a fancy appetizer, a pizza or a Subway sandwich cut in bite size pieces etc.) I provided soft drinks, coffee and wine.

It was a wonderful way for my hubby to practice his speech and, when he could no longer speak , to listen to the events taking place outside our home, and smile at the jokes. For me, I met people who we had never met. They heard about the Friday Night get-together from a neighbor or a friend at work, or the gal at the check-out at the grocery store. Some nights we had 25 people or more stop in and other nights maybe 2 or 4.

Now those very people who I met because of my husband's illness and death, are stopping in to see what they can do to help me.... I am blessed. The Alabama Song, "Angels Among Us" is so true. They come in all sizes and for different reasons. We only have to recognize them. :)

I have lived in large cities - New York, Tampa, Los Angeles, Tucson, Phoenix, and Pittsburgh, and I would have never opened my home to total strangers - but in small towns the old fashioned neighborliness still exists.

Diane

What a wonderful idea! While I do live in Miami, my neighborhood has a small town feel. I think I'm going to borrow your idea and start Friday Nites Appetizer Nites this summer! A wonderful way to build community!
Peace!

Melody - glad to have "inspired you"! I borrowed the idea from my son and daughter-in-law who live about 45 minutes from me. They do a weekly get-together at their home but include families since they have youngsters at home. My son suggested it to me when his dad was sick and withdrawing..... I am so glad he did. I think you might find it not only beneficial for building community but good for you too!

Diane

to all that replied i truthfully thank you god is good and life is full of many challenges .just learning how to deal with them and let them go there is this forum which allows you many points of view thats what i love about it god bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back