Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Santa Barbara
ALS is a burden and it is easy to be sad thinking of what lies ahead. Like all of us, I have done my share of weeping, gnashing teeth, rending garments and all the other ways we show sadness and grief. But I strive to be a positive person so I am trying out different ways of seeing ALS in a more positive light.

One idea is: ALS as long term vacation. In many ways I would like nothing better than to go on a long vacation where I could read, listen to music, watch TV and movies, relax and have everything taken care of for me. Well, this is how I hope my life will be with ALS. I will be able to rest all day and still enjoy beautiful and entertaining stories, music and art. If I want I can have intellectual stimulation and study any subject I desire, at leisure, with no deadlines or pressure.

After all, what is the very definition of a vacation where everything is taken care of? They say, you won't have to lift a finger. Well, with ALS I won't be able to lift a finger, so I'll be all set.

Now I admit that my relaxing lifestyle will come at a substantial cost to my caregivers, who will have to spend much time catering to my needs and whims. But really this kind of thing happens quite a bit in the world. If you go stay at a resort in Mexico you can bet the maids are working pretty hard so you can enjoy yourself. And how much time do we spend worrying about the Chinese children working in sweatshop conditions to make our baseball caps and running shoes? The life of a PALS caregiver is probably not that bad compared to lives in many parts of the world. Caregivers often seem more unhappy over the fact that their PALS can't do things the way they used to, than the sheer drudgery of the job. If they knew that their PALS are happy and enjoying life, then maybe their own efforts will seem more worthwhile.

Anyway, that is one idea I am exploring. I have some others I will try to post about soon.

I love your way of thinking. I think people always look at the patient to decide how they will react to a situation, if we react like this, well people would surely react this way back. Love the idea..

Hal, if only this vacation came with a meal plan!

Yes Barry...endless cases of gourmet formula..as we fondly call our blue and green cans! LOL!
On the serious note Hal..that was so well thought out. As a caregiver I know the days that are hardest to be a caregiver are the days when my hubby feels hopeless. Although, I always remind myself no matter how bad of a day I am having...he is having it a million times worse. I am hoping that you maintain that positive attitude because peace and a positive attitude is contagious. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Kelly

Great attitude half and inspired writing!

Yep! IN agreement;
but a lot depends on who you have helping you............. I think I am beginning to understand the tantrums of childhood. When you have no power at all to do things or get thngs done YOUR way (like filling the shopping trolley with candy) the feeling of frustration is SO great/////////

BUt love your post, Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back