Diagnosis
09/2005
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
Had a very interesting experience yesterday which shows how quickly things can happen.

My son was my caregiver for the day and at 11:00 AM, yesterday, something was going on outside that needed his attention. He asked if I would be okay for a couple of minutes while he went out to address the problem. I said yes, we have done this hundreds of times before.

No sooner than he closed the door behind him my circuit (air hose) popped off. There I was, can't breathe end no way to get help. The problem outside took more time to deal with than was expected. By the time my son got back I was passed out! I have never fought so hard for anything in my life as I did not want to die this way and have my son live with the fact he killed his dad. If it had been anyone but him I would be dead.

It is amazing how quickly things can happen, he was only gone about 10 minutes and it was almost fatal. We will be devising a call system.

i am so glad that you are ok now ... thank god for your son ... and he would of blamed himself and probably had a very hard time sleeping last night with the what ifs ... and on top of that don't think i could to stand another death of someone on this site been too many lately ...so glad you are here i doubt he will ever leave your side again ...

wow so glad you are so strong

Wow Joel what a horrible, terrifying experience that must have been. So glad you are OK. I guess he was able to revive you? Is CPR appropriate in that situation?

I imagine the ventilator sounds an alarm when that happens? Perhaps your caregiver could carry a baby monitor type remote listening device so they would be sure to hear the alarm if they are elsewhere in the house or outside.

Oh my goodness ......talk about your Guardian Angel ! Thank God Joel . Blessings, CATE

Wow!Thank Goodness for your sztrength of character and determination. And presumably for the fact that your son must have acted very quickly and sensibly when he came back in and must have been so shocked. Wow! It has taken the breath out of me just reading about it

Joel, that is awful and I hope it never happens again! I agree with Hal, a baby monitor would be an excellent idea and would work as both an active and passive system. You could make a sound to alert your caregiver that they would be able to hear anywhere and if there is an alarm then there would be a way for them to know even if you were not able to make a signal.

Please take care cause we can't lose you yet.
Barry

i like the monitor also

Wow Joel, thank you for being so strong. I would not have been able to handle losing you too. I don't even want to imagine it. You are an amazing man, Joel.

My parents had a monitor system too. My mom kept a bell by my dad's bed so he could call us if we stepped out of the room even momentarily. I highly recommend it!

Last edited:
The monitor idea is good. I never left the room without it at night.

Joel, You are a strong man... Love you so.... When I couldn't get out of the tub the other day and was in the house alone. I was so upset. My son said that I shouldn't go anywhere by myself. I am thinking I can still do that and I will... I did promise i would always take my phone with me so I can text message... For now that will work.. Ya know, I never thought I couldn't get out of the tub? My arms have become so weak sence the peg was put in so maybe i wouldn't be able to get up anywhere if i fell. I will need to try that when rich is home? Oh this is a challenge? Hugs to you today..Linda

Last edited:
Joel, That is a down-right scary thing to have happened. Glad you made it through!

When I am home alone I carry both my cell phone and my cordless phone around with me. The cell phone with speed dial to my wife's cell and the cordless phone so that if I have to call 911 they can trace my call through a land line and send help even if I can't tell them.

obviously God still has plenty of work for you to do. boy, you are one important man on this earth, joel

Praise God you were found in time! What a terrible experience....... but see, it wasn't your time yet. You have more to do yet, and if I were a waging person, I'd bet you are needed here on the forum. We appreciate you and hope you and your wife will be here many years on. Keep counting your blessings... your son is one. We hope he doesn't feel any blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back