Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Alexandria
Yes , I am still here, and I have been lurking in the shadows ( ok , I was hiding )

To those people that sent me messages, and the inquiries thru Wanda, its time for me to cheer-the-phuck-up. THANK YOU

I have been having a rough time of it lately. I have been into the recesses of my mind (D word which I will not say) and its been hard. I have spoken to many people in the past that are affected by the "D word" and thought I had good understanding of it. Let me tell that shit is hell, it tears you up. I have the best spouse in the world that helps me through these awful feelings.

I have been getting weaker, my left side of my body just follows me around, my left hand has some gripping power , but no dexterity. My right hand is starting now also.
My voice is not worth listening to anymore unless you enjoy saying "huh?", "repeat", "say it again , only slowly."
I have turned into a hermit, preferring to not to have to many people around me <- "D"
My driving is limited to around town, as my braking reaction time is slow and I am losing strength in the legs.
I am still bothered when I think of Beth and her passing.
I can not do standing transfers any more, have been using a transition board to slide from chair to wherever.
I am having the nightmares again - with a twist (cremation)
I am burning Wanda out - I just recently got some respite care for her twice a week, but its not enough.
Trying to make future plans "To vent or not to vent - can we make it work" , without outside help ....
Community Care has their hands tied as far as getting extra help at night
I have progressed to needing a chair with recline and elevated legs

It was heartwarming that so many have asked about me, that I will make an effort to a proper smart ass, embarrassing and pissing people off :twisted:

Last edited:
Glen, we are here for you buddy cause we care and need our smart ass. I wish none of us had to go through this but we do and if I can help at all let me know.

I too am still very sad over Beth's passing and had to stop for a few minutes on my drive home from Edmonton yesterday because I couldn't see the road. But I know that she would not want either of us to be so sad for her so we have to keep on trying to follow in her keystrokes and do what we can to make people here smile. I know you will be strong no matter what this shitty disease throws at you.

Barry

Glen,

Not to sound like I'm echoing Barry, but, me too, to everything he said. (other than I was not driving home from Edmonton yesterday, nor have I ever driven home from Edmonton)

We need you here. Maybe our purpose in life morphs as our lives change, I don't know, but you're a big part of this forum, whether you're in top form or not.

(I started the beginnings of a Follies thread, maybe we can do it as a dedication to Beth, and her intrepid Rambo/Rambeau.)

I'm proud to call you my friend, so don't forget I'm here for you too :)

You guys are like the class of 08! And I mean that in both senses.

waaahhhhh me too me too! Sobbing like a crazy woman and trying to type. I was in California [Northern] when she passed and I would not have known except Mel phoned me. I was eating Mexican food in a restaurant with my 2 sisters, brother, brother in law and daughter and just began sobbing at the table. Scared them to death. The owner came leaping across tables to see what in the hell had happened [bad food?! Hot peppers?!]! He was the cutest little old man from Costa Rica and was sooo concerned. I never really had the chance to grieve her...she was my first friend on the forum and I adored her. What a incredible bright and shining STAR that filled the forum with such light, love and enlightenment! Honestly, it shattered a part of my heart. Honestly, I considered NEVER coming back to the forum...how will my heart survive all the losses of my forum family to come..? Her death made it so f-*%ing real and personal. I love you all soul much and it is just like losing a very loved family member...so Beth of the incredible wit and brilliant soul-know that you are remembered and treasured always and send us some balm for our shattered hearts.
Glen, I was worried when I came back and didn't see you online. Thank God for Wanda :] Web is also losing more ground on a daily basis. I HATE this disease that takes little pieces of the ones that we love on a daily basis. We are also dealing with the D word and it is soul difficult. I can hardly wait until the full moon on 29 March so I can really HOWL! I wish I lived close enough to all of the forum family so that we could help one another. No one really understands until it is personal. Glen, I will be soooo glad to see you back posting your pithy black humor! Love ya and sending virtual hugs to you and sweet Wanda. Kay Marie

Glen I'm glad you're back! You don't have to be witty or funny--just be you and the you we all know is a wonderful, bright, and warm human being. I think we are all still in shock about losing Beth. I'm so sorry and sad that this stinking disease is taking its toll on you. You are a good friend to all of us and we appreciate who you are.
Laurel

Glen,

I had noticed your absence, even though we don't communicate directly I go out of my way to read your posts. I am so sorry to hear how you are feeling and just want to also say that I really appreciate the humor you bring to this forum. In my family, we use a lot of dark humor to "deal" with the ugly stuff in life, and we may be politically incorrect and tasteless and silly, but we laugh and laugh and laugh. That great feeling from a good laugh can last for hours. Come back to the forum with your sarcasm and wit and laugh if you can, I really believe it will give you strength to get through this dark time.

As for Beth, I haven't been able to stop thinking about her either, and wondered how those of you who were especially close are faring. Yesterday I lingered over her albums.

Lydia

Lydia, I can sooo identify with the "dark humor"! We do the same and it often times freaks people out! I hate to cry but OMG I love to laugh until I am snorting and the tears are rolling down my face. Those "naughty boys" do that to me on the forum and they know who they are [wink wink] Have you seen the movie "Fargo" filled with black humor!

Glen, I am glad you are back.
I am so angry that this MND in what ever strain it is, is effecting us all.

Authough I have never met any of you personally I consider you all part of my family and like all, saddened by Beths sudden departure.

I, last week decided to go through some of the first follies, before i joined just to read what Beth posted.

Glen, hang in there mate and i look forward to many smart assed comments from you in the future.

Peter

Well, that sinks it - I'M BAAACK

You ladies and laddies are best, Thank You all.

Now , I heard a rumor that a certain glamor gal is enticing people with her undulating cleavage.

And I actually have a picture , but that's private stock :twisted:

Glen

Whew! What a relief! BTW I actually stumbled across the un-cropped version of Nurse Rose in my photo files.... I'll keep her in the arsenal in case she's needed.

Yeah! The sa is back! Knew you wouldn't let us down. When all else fails you have to find something to laugh about! We're here for you and Wanda if you need us. I think that Beth's going has shaken us all up a bit. It's hard to lose a friend, even if you've never met face to face. Beth would not want us being sad about her going, she would want us to keep up the silly ways of looking at things that she used to do.

Nurse Rose is always needed!

Beth was clearly the Matriarch of this MND family. I don't think she'd want any of us to give up on this forum. I know there are times when dealing with all of this is all too consuming! I am so happy that I can come here and find sensitive caring people and lots of humor too! Thanks everyone for being here and welcome back Glenn.

Welcome back Glen. Missed you.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back