Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
Well I am a little sad today because Beth's niece Marion is going back home tomorrow after staying with us for three months. She has been working for us and has been a very welcome addition to our household because she is bright, cheerful, enthusiastic, attractive and she talks! We knew that she would be with us for only a few months and now it is time for her to go home to Ontario to see her mom (Beth's sister) and dad, sister and oh yeah, her boyfriend. Well, now she is leaving and I will have to talk again.

Our son is home from university in a few weeks so that will be good and we found out last night that Beth's mom and step-dad are coming to visit at the end of April for a few days. I can hardly wait for that, :roll::roll: they are both in their mid 80s and we make a good team, they can't hear and I can't talk and none of us can walk very far. Poor Beth!

Beth can have a ball saying rude things to you all - they won't hear and you can't answer back!

My daughter and family who have lived in Australia for the last ten years are moving back to UK next month so I have that to look forward to.

Awwww

You sound like you have such a cool family & extended family.

I think when Beth's folks arrive, what is called for is a good high spirited game of Charades :)

A funny story about a friend of mine, who recently went to visit his dad, who is also in his mid 80's, may not hear too well, but is still quite the character. He (the dad) asks the son if he wants to go get a sandwich at this new sandwich shop he's discovered. So, they take a drive, and end up at a Hooters! What's more, all of the waitresses know the dad by name, seems he's been there a few times before :wink:.... you guys have any Hooters Restaurants up there? Might be a way to pass some time (and no one would probably even notice you weren't actually eating anything)

Barry, I had to run right in here and see what your "boo hoo" was and to see if you needed a bandaid and a kiss! I know what you mean. It just stinks to be the one left behind. I feel the same when my family come to visit and then leave. They actually gave me a "Boo Hoo Towel" because I am such a cry baby. My Daddy lives 8 miles from on the Family Farm and he will be 85 on May 22nd. He stops by almost every day to say HI but honestly, I think it is just to pick up the food that I make for him! Oh Rose, are you talking about my DAD! lol Sounds like him. He is having a little problem with memory loss and that is somewhat challenging at times. hugs to you Mr. Boo Hoo from Mrs. Boo Hoo!

Irismarie, that is soooo exciting and I am soul happy for you. FYI I love your suggestion to Barry! rotflmao

Rose, we do have hooters in Canada and we also have Hooters (just not here in my town). Great idea though, something for the whole family (well at least for Andrew, Keith and me - not sure about Beth and her mom) to do where there wouldn't be much need for talking or listening or walking.

Charades and rude language, time to head for the hills, or maybe France!

Kay Marie, I'll take the kiss 8)8) and use the bandaid to keep my lips closed. Kind of a fitting image somehow, me with a bandaid keeping my lips closed. I keep looking for flesh coloured duct tape but a band aid would be perfect.

Barry, my sympathy for your niece's return to her home. You do sound like a close family! My dad (84) is driving down tomorrow for the weekend, is very chipper although refers to his "state of decrepitude" regularly, which cracks me up. We now have much in common regarding the aging process, and as he was my mother's caregiver, he and Phil are very much in tune with one another.

Kay, I taught Dad to cook during many long phone conversations, as he tried to keep my mother and himself healthy. He now knows way too much about nutrition and tells me "how many Brazil nuts" for instance should be eating in a day. That said, he won't have to cook while he's here. I may need to sneak my chocolate in while his head is turned. I don't have Brazil nuts to worry about.:?:

I am very envious of those of you who still have your parents, mine are both gone and I do miss them but I do enjoy Beth's mom (also named Marion) and she is like a mom to me. That said, both she and her husband have had some very serious health problems recently and I hope that they are not pushing it making the four hour flight from Ontario to Alberta and the even longer car and bus transfers on each end. They are also visiting Beth's sisters in Calgary and Kelowna, the last time they visited I drove them around but I am not up to those trips anymore.

And I have to keep Keith away from my chainsaw, he likes to keep busy and cut firewood but he scares me. Maybe I will hide it!

"State of decrepitude", I like that and will use it, thanks Ann

Barry, i know just how you are feeling. When my kids and gr kids come, it is busy and fun and great times..When they leave, I may be a little tired but i hate the quiet that follows.... Love the sound of laughing kids! smile! We won't leave you,we will always be here for you.. Hugs, linda

Thanks Linda, I appreciate it and hope you get lots of visits!

Well, Marion's departure is certainly worth a boo-hoo. I'll join you in this lament!

Ann, our Daddy's must be related! Mine called me this morning and wanted me to talk him through on how to make a "hearty and nutritious Vegetable Soup"! Do you have pockets? Hershey's kisses hide very nicely in pockets! Web bought a huge bag after I told him that they were Beth's favorite treat and he loves them-he even has the brown ALS drool that Beth talked about in the forum! lolol "State of decrepitude" is going straight into my favorite phrases to use! Barry, OMG HIDE THE CHAINSAW and the wood chipper! Linda, is Spring arriving yet in the Mountains? hugs and Hershey's kisses

weather is cold and over cast... rich and i went to town for a malt.. sooooooooooooo good..... It is always a nice 30 min drive to our town. It is 6 miles to our mailbox...lol Does that tell you anything about where we live? lol Unless i draw you a map,,,no one couled find us. We are way up in the mountains... So it is a pretty day but not a spring day... L

Barry, my friend. You did take some pictures to tide you over didn't you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back