Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Jacksonville
Hi. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I was diagnosed with ALS 10/31/08. I have a fairly slow progression, thank God, because I am single and live alone, but I don't have many people to talk with about ALS. I certainly don't know anyone personally who has or had ALS, so I'm just hanging out there on my own little deserted island wondering what, if anything, I should be doing, feeling .... I hope this forum will be helpful to me and that I can be helpful to others as well.

My symptoms are with my right leg, right hand and balance. Literally, one could knock me over with a feather. I am still walking, but not well. I use a cane occasionally, but I'm not very good with it either. I can still write, but not well, and I have trouble holding a pen, a fork and exerting any pressure between my thumb and forefinger. I know I am in much better shape than many whose posts I have read here, so Ihope you all don't think I am a weany for asking this question.

Here is my question. I occasionally experience "numbness" and coldness in my right hand and right foot. It is a strange feeling, similar to the feeling when a body part is "asleep" right before it starts to tingle and come out of it. I have googled these symptoms and found that they are not common in ALS.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Pam :?:

Hi Pam,
Welcome to PLM, everyone here is very helpful you will find the answers to your questions.

I have numbness and feeling cold as well, I do not know how much of it is als or just the cold weather and poor circulation.I use hot showers and baths and massage my feet and hands 2x a day and do range of motion exercise. I would suggest that you get a walker since you live alone, I have the kind with a seat but have not had to use it yet. Take care
Judy

Hi, Pam! Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your question, My right leg goes numb on me on occasion (similar to feeling like it went to sleep). It happens when I am sitting down. Probably has nothing to do with me having PLS, I suspect.

Hey Pam,

Welcome to the site. Your mention of no one to talk with can be forgotten. We are not doctors , but have an amazing amount of experience within our members. Please free to ask any questions you have. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

Talk about a bad trick-or-treat. diagnosed on halloween is kind of eeery isnt it. :twisted:

If I sleep in the right position (or wrong depending on point of view) , my arm will go to sleep. I feel that it takes less to make you get the tingles, due to lack of muscle usage which does not help your circulation.

Glen

hi pam, nice to see you on here my facebook friend......you will never feel alone on this forum......everyone is very helpful and will answer anything! (with some details you may never have wanted to know and some that just might make you blush:oops:)

and go get that rollator....they have them at the loan closet......take care dear

Thanks to all my new friends who have welcomed me and answered my post ... and yes, the fact that I received my DX on Halloween did "spook" me a bit. I have already seen many interesting posts on here. And Jen, I will go get the rollator. I think it is about time. Take care all.

Pam

My hands, feet and face are very numb. I also have Lyme.

An interesting update: I started taking a low dose of zithromax in combination with iv ceftriaxone and the numbness in my hands, face and feet has improved 50%!

Hi Pam

Mick has trouble with his feet,legs and hands he is losing his pincer movement as they call it, but our Occupational Therepist from the Hospice brought him a knfe, fork and spoon he can still use and it has made life a little easier for him(they have a padded larger gripping area), may be the OT could help you there too? good luck xx Ang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back