Diagnosis
5/2008
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Snellville
I'm on Medicare, and have insurance. I went to a speech pathologist for evaluation. It was determined that I definitely need a speech device. We agreed on the light write, the type to talk keyboard thingy. They said I will take about 10 weeks before I see it! Anybody else wait this long for theirs? I'm guessing that Medicare is the hold up. I got my other equipment real fast. confused in the 30024 :-(

Mine took about that long also I got a dynovox v.

I do not have any purpose built devices like the light writer.

I have an Ipod Touch 64 and have loaded Proloquo on it. With a speaker add-on , its loud enough and fits in my pocket.

I can still type , but my speech is fading rapidly.

The cost of each of those options is way less than having a specific device like Light Writer.

Hope this helps.

Glen

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil, sorry that you are joining the ranks of the speechless. I am totally reliant on my speech devices now and have three different systems (besides charades), two of which I use every day. I first got a Dynavox Palmtop3 and while it still works I don't use it much anymore because my IPod Touch with Proloquo2go is smaller, easier to use and does so much more. I use my netbook with NextUp talker as my main voice and also my main device for email and internet.

The Dynavox that I have is way overpriced ($5500 of which i paid $500) for a PDA with a speaker and software when you can buy an IPod and software for under $500 or a netbook computer with software for about the same.

If you cant type and need an eyegaze system then the expensive systems are the way to go, otherwise they are a waste of money. Maybe it is government money but still a waste in my opinion.

Glad to hear it Glen. To anyone who tries it please share your thoughts, ideas and/or complaints and I'll do what I can to address them.

Phil,

Did you have to go to Dekalb Medical SLP in order to be evaluated, since Emory no longer has their SLP at the clinic? We are trying to get an eval set up for my husband.

Jeff,

Going to check Silver Tongue out!

Phil,

Did you have to go to Dekalb Medical SLP in order to be evaluated, since Emory no longer has their SLP at the clinic? We are trying to get an eval set up for my husband.

Jeff,

Going to check Silver Tongue out!

Yes...I did. She is nice.

Thanks Phil!

Wish you could get the device sooner!

Hi Phil, I have the Light Writer, and an ipod. and a white board ...The ipod for me is too small . I have a hard time with it. I love that I can put it in my pocket and now that I can hardly talk at all, I will try using it more. I use the light writer every day in the house. I like it the best ,but it is kinda hard to take places. I do though and I do like it a lot. Good luck and I think the advice i was given is practice...I really love my white board when with friends. I can write faster than either of the devices.... Linda

Oh gosh, I forgot the answer to your question. Yes, mine took about 8 weeks to get.... Maybe barrow one from the MDA closet for a while and practice....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back