Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
US
State
Wisconsin
City
Madison
Hi everyone, does anybody know if a PALS can use a bipap if she lives alone? I mean just for night use. Anyway, I have leg-onset ALS and my arms and hands are ok. Even so, the way it declines everyday, I don't know how long I'll be able to use my hands. This is just for future information, so I can make plans. If it's impossible for people to put them on and take them off by themselves, I'll make different plans. Thanks!

Carol

Yes, you can deal with a bipap by yourself, you don't need anyone else to help.

Carol, do it! Web has Bulbar onset and he manages his own PEG and I know when he needs BiPap he will do that until he can not and needs my help. Go for it :] Get a PEG too! hugs, Kay Marie

Thanks for the quick replies. that's a relief.

The only problem you might encounter is if the hose popped off the mask and fell on the floor, would you be able to get it back up to put it back on. It's happened to me a couple of times over the years.

AL.

I have used bi-pap sense 2001. ( sorry not sure why my typing has gone dark ) The first year I was alone at night though my son did wash mask, tubing ...everyday for me. There is no reason why you can't use living alone ! I use mine 24/7 and when my hubby goes to work 4 hours (I am alone)I still wearing it and now i can not use my hands never had a problem. I had another person having problems with hose coming off I told him it's time for new one.! He got a new one and not having problem anymore ! If the hose did pop off of mask the other end still be on bi-pap so you should have no problem. I never have ! Enjoy breathing better ! Also if you have Medicare th mask parts, hoses, humidifier bottle, filters .. are replaced often. I get a full new mask every three months. I always have at last two in good condition, one during the day is different to wear eye Glass. White filter new each month, th black i think is three, tubing every three months . Keeping everything clean and replacing items when needed you should not have any problems !

Thanks Alley, I'm breathing ok right now but I'm slurring words and I think the breathing will coincide with the speech decline. I hate this stupid disease. My brother uses a Cpap machine for sleep apnea but he has a wife, so I don't know if he does it all by himself. I'll ask him. Maybe I'll have some good health aides by then to help clean the tubes, etc. It's great information so I don't have so much fear of the future. You guys are wonderful!
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back