Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
Well almost exactly one year after getting my peg, I have decided that I can no longer do my smoothies by mouth (or anything else for that matter). After getting home from our Arizona holiday where I had not tried to swallow anything (logistical problems) I made a smoothie this morning and after getting two swallows to go down in 15 minutes I decided that was enough and I couldn't do it anymore. Too much energy expended in swallowing and then cleaning my mouth and throat out afterward, not worth it. :sad:

So now I am a pegger all the way, all the time. Damn ALS!

Wow Barry, sorry for that bit of reality you're having to face. I pray that this transition goes smoothly for you. You have a great attitude. --JK

I am very sorry to hear this! What a bummer! But I am glad you are smart enough to not push it and endanger yourself.

Welcome Home!

drats! not the welcome home you were wanting iam sure. don't you wish we could be on a permanent vacation.

Oh Barry...that sucks! So sorry! Not that it takes away the awfulness of your reality, but can I just say...the dignity with which you are facing each challenge, is humbling and inspiring...Thank you

Thanks JK, Joel, paleshia and Melody. I knew that this was coming but it is still a real drag. I think that my wife was more sad about it when I told her this morning that I was, it has been so hard for her to adjust to my ever dwindling menu. I am happy with the ease, convenience and cost of my formula and it is a good thing that we have her niece living with us or Beth would be grocery shopping just for herself until our son comes home from university in April.

On a related note, our fridge died today so we are waiting for a repair man to come next week to either revive it or give it last rites. So the bad news is that the fridge died and the good news (?) is that I don't need it anymore!

Last edited:
I am sorry Barry, to hear that the smoothies are no more.
Your attitude to this is inspiring to all who will face this decision in the future.

Peter

As long as your wife doesn't need any foods other than from the pantry, you'll be good to go giving your fridge its last rites! :rolleyes:

Barry, that just stinks! Well, maybe you can get by without brushing your teeth so often (just trying to put a positive spin on this for you, Barry!).

"I knew this day was coming..."

Barry, knowing it was coming & having it here today are two different things, I would imagine. Sorry about your reality. I can understand & relate to Beth's saddness.:(

On a brighter note, glad you are back safe & sound.:D

Sorry to hear that Barry. It must be so tough, but way to have a positive attitude! A great example for the rest of us. Thank you.

Barrry,
I am sorry, but once again you have a true spirit and humor, that just always makes my day a little brighter. You are such a great guy, you always have a way of giving other people hope the way you handle things. Never change..

Barry , the time has come where everything will taste like Jack Daniels. Does not matter what goes in the peg. A drop or twelve of your favorite spirits in your mouth for taste.

It sucks , but its not the end of the road. You are still mobile.

How do you plan to feed the tube ? Gravity ? Pump ? 60ML at a time?

Glen

Barry, I so understand, My joy is feeding my husband all his favorite things, he doesnt use his peg yet, and I hope we have a year before we need to rely on it. Lori

Glen, it does suck but you are right it isn't the end of the world. I wonder how long a 26 oz bottle of Glenfiddich will last one drop at a time?

Here is what I plan to use for feeding
The PitCan molded plastic replica NASCAR fuel cans, Flint Michigan
Seriously though, I have no problem with the 60 ml syringe funnel and I get them included with my formula from the provincial government so no need for anything else.

Good news though, the appliance guy was able to come today so he pulled the fridge out and took apart the back and bottom and cleaned it out. A $90 vacuum job (now that really sucks) but he says that will fix it, I hope he is right. The fridge is at least 15 years old (as is the house) so who knows we may have buy a new one soon anyway.

Lori, I hope that your husband and everyone else here gets to eat their favourite things for a long time.

Thanks everyone and keep on smiling (especially if you don't have to brush)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back