Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
So I was brushing my teeth today and I noticed that a couple of teeth seem to be loose. My teeth have always been crowded (my mouth is not big enough) and now that my mouth is open all the time my upper teeth are starting to feel even more crowded. I am wondering if my upper palate is shrinking or whatever and this is affecting my upper teeth. I brush and rinse about 5 times per day and was just at my dentist a couple of months ago and he didnt say anything so I don't know what is going on there. Anyone else experience this?

I hope that I don't lose teeth, not that I need them to chew anything but I would be a toothless, drooling, silent guy rather than just a drooling, silent guy. :shock::shock: I could look and talk like a hockey player, just taking it one gamer a time and giving 110% effort.

I hope that I don't lose teeth, not that I need them to chew anything but I would be a toothless, drooling, silent guy rather than just a drooling, silent guy. :shock::shock:

OK ... that is one mental picture I did not need

No, I do not have any loose teeth

Barry,
I'll check with one the dentists I work for...take care.

Barry,
I also have one tooth that has a crown that all of a sudden became loose. The roof of my mouth seems to have shrunk my speech therapist says I could correct some problems by having a palital lift made.

Barry, you actually brush and rinse 5 times a day? Maybe you are loosening your teeth, especially is you aren't using a soft brush.

Are you getting into middle age? In middle age our teeth can easily change position and the gums pull away.
Fillings can loosen and the crowns come off. Great fun getting older.

I use to go every 3 to 6 times a year to have my teeth cleaned , ever sense a child. When I got DX with ALS and lost my job was single with no income I could not go to the Dentist. Even when I went on Medicare it does not pay for dental work. It's always Been a nightmare of mine to lose my teeth way long before I got ALS I never wanted that to happen. Well about two years ago I lost a tooth or half of one . It was/is sharp. I am bed bound and my Dr.'s office told me thy had Dentist who would come to home. My hubby called them many times. they told us they don't go to homes anymore only assitive living and nursing homes. I begged them but would not. I still have an empty space but seems like it is shrinking up also still have sharp part. I wish there was a dentist that would come to our home. For two years I chew only on one side. I am so afraid to lose more teeth.

Strange, Web said to me yesterday out of the blue, "IF I have cavities or any other dental issue from this day forward, I do NOT want to have it filled or crowned. Just tell the Dentist to PULL IT OUT! I can barely eat, I can barely talk, I can't kiss or whistle so why do I need them and why should we spend money we don't have?!" We lost our private health insurance so I am certain that is what sparked the comment. I just nodded my head and said "of course dear". :] Then I see this thread and I wonder what in the world is going on-some Dental Demon possession!

No loose teeth here either, but I'm predicting the following post within a month or two:

"I have a couple of loose teeth and my finger has been twitching for a couple of days. Do I have ALS?"

Yeah sorry, I keep forgetting about Dr. Google.

Hi BarryG, I am a dentist! Let me take a stab at this.... There is no correlation between ALS and dental problems other than this: Chewing actually goes a long way towards keeping the teeth clean. So I'm perfectly alright with you brushing (and flossing!) 5 times a day. (By the way, I do too :) Nothing will be harmed by the massage and cleanliness that brushing provides.

I think the issue is-- everybody has dental problems. Just think about it this way... heck we chew with them, we've been slamming them against each other with 300 to 600 pounds of pressure per square inch all our lives. It would be amazing if they didn't fall apart from time to time.

BarryG, I'm leaving you a personal message with some of my thoughts.

There are special handles and flossers to help with dexterity issues which I'm sure you've seen. I can locate a link if anyone is interested.

Laurie

i also have loose teeth and a couple of broken teeth and have no idea why. with no insurance and unable to talk why bother to go to dentist.

I have gone through periods of feeling like my teeth are loose and going to fall out. At those times the actually hurt.
This has happened several times, right now they feel fine. Not sure why.

Thanks Laurie, I tried to reply to your visitor message but was told I did not have permission to? Anyway, I am not too worried for the time being and will see my dentist in a couple of weeks about this. The brushing that I do so often is because my mouth now hangs open all the time (where's my duct tape?) and with the dry winter air we have in our houses in Canada my mouth is always dry as a bone (wherever that expression came from) so I am brushing and flushing goo out all the time.

I have never been able to floss easily because my teeth are so jammed in that it is really hard to get the floss through, even the waxed type. But I do it and also use the attachment on my waterpic to get between the teeth and brush with a soft toothbrush.

It is really hard to understand how I can be drooling all over my shirt and gagging on saliva and yet have a dry mouth. I guess it is not a quantity problem but a distribution problem, damn bulbar ALS!

Tomorrow you will be able to correspond with Laurie by PM's

You got that right-- damn ALS. I'm cussing this disease everyday.

And you are so funny! "Where's my duct tape?" Can I use that expression? I love your sense of humor.

There's a product line by Biotene for dry mouth that works really great. They have toothpaste, mouth spray, sugarless gum, and mouthwash. But I'm thinking the mouth spray might work great after brushing and rinsing. It might make you more comfortable. Shucks, when I was in practice I had samples of the stuff. Maybe your doctor does.

Thanks moderator, for letting me correspond with people. I must have set my profile wrong in the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back