09/2005
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
Hi Everyone,

I have mentioned before that my kidneys are in bad shape and failing. I don't understand why as I have always lived a healthy life and have never done anything to cause this type of problem.
The option may be dialysis 3 times a week which is out of the question. I will not do that, it would be impossible.

I wanted to share this because I don't want anyone to think I died of ALS. This is not an ALS caused problem. I still believe ALS does not have to be fatal if you are willing to accept technology that is available.

There is nothing that can be done about this problem and it is getting worse. So if my wife posts about my passing it will not be because of ALS. I wanted you to know this so please don't give up the fight against ALS.

Love You all to pieces!:cool::cool::cool:

Hi Everyone,

I have mentioned before that my kidneys are in bad shape and failing. I don't understand why as I have always lived a healthy life and have never done anything to cause this type of problem.
The option may be dialysis 3 times a week which is out of the question. I will not do that, it would be impossible.

I wanted to share this because I don't want anyone to think I died of ALS. This is not an ALS caused problem. I still believe ALS does not have to be fatal if you are willing to accept technology that is available.

There is nothing that can be done about this problem and it is getting worse. So if my wife posts about my passing it will not be because of ALS. I wanted you to know this so please don't give up the fight against ALS.

Love You all to pieces!:cool::cool::cool:

Your Sig says "ALS doesn't have to be fatal" Well, neither does kidney failure. Depends on how long you want to stay around. I am intimately familiar, as my wife is a long time diabetic and has failed kidneys. She has 3 times a week dialysis, and is in line for a kidney transplant. I know it's a lot to throw on top of ALS, and we are certainly having our problems. There is peritoneal dialysis done at home, and even home hemodialysis here in the US. Unfortunately, with me in my shape, she's elected not to do home dialysis, as it needs a capable helper. I'm just saying, check out all of your options before you throw in the towel.

Perry

Gee Joel, I didn't think things were that bad. Really sorry to hear that. If you need to talk or anything, you can call me.

AL.

Joel - dont rule out dialysis - you have managed everything thrown at you thus far (matter of fact even much more difficult things)and I believe you can manage this as well - my prayers are with you and your famly - fight till you cant fight no more - than fight again! - You dont really know me but I feel like I know you just from reading your posts! May God guide you in this newest challenge....

Peace
Larry

Hi Joel! So sorry to hear such tragic news. When it rains it pours my friend. One of my brothers was on dialysis for 17 years due to an attack by two thugs that robbed him, stabbed him repeatedly and left him for dead. He was found by 2 officers dying on the streets. An ambulance was called, taken to hospital for a very lengthy stay. Lived for quite a while with 1 kidney until it gave out on him. He had a very difficult passing, because drs cold not help him anymore. Thank God he is resting in peace now. I have had 2 brothers in law that died from kidney failure, too. Do you feel any different with the bad kidneys? I hate to hear that. What are your loved ones saying about your opposing to dialysis? Please let us know how you are doing. You are in my prayers, and we respect your wishes.

Irma

Joel,
I'm so sorry to read this! I know you must have your reasons, but why say no to dialysis, when you were willing to have the trache and vent?

We love you too. I'm sure I speak for many who've come to expect you to be there, encouraging us to not give up, that the impossible is possible.

Joel,
I am stunned to read your message. It makes me so sad. How about giving peritoneal dialysis a try? It can be done at home. I have known people to have it at home for several years. But like Irma says, we do respect your wishes and maybe you are just tired of all the equipment and struggles. You and your wife are in my prayers.
Laurel

Joel, I am so sorry to hear your kidneys are failing. I'm speechless...

Joel,

I'm so sorry to hear about your kidneys. Are you on any kind of meds that can damage your kidneys.
You and your family are in my prayers.

Dude , its too early for an April fools joke. I respect your wishes to say enough is enough , but to fight like a champ for those years and then succumb to something else .. I just wont accept it.

I am praying for you. Ya , I now , i'm not a believer , but I can try.

Glen

Joel, my friend, I am very sorry to read about these new troubles that you are having. This is a truly awful thing for you to have to go through on top of your ALS. I know that there is not much any of us can do but provide you with the same kind of encouragement that you have all given to us, so here goes. I know that you will be strong and do whatever you feel is right for you but I hope that you will consider the options that others here have presented. That is all I have to say except that we all love you right back (and Christine too!).

Barry

Joel, I'm so sorry to hear about your kidneys problem.
I understand you might have your reasons, but dialysis is far less an issue then trach.
I just want you to know that you are my source of inspiration and courage. I'm thinking and praying for you, Erica

Joel, oh....I am soul sad. This is just awful. I don't know what to say except that it is just awful. I love you and your sweet wife. You have been the wind beneath my wings and the soft voice of reason. Sending you courage and hope for joyful moments. hugs from the Prairie to my dear friend in Canada. Kay Marie

I too am in shock on reading your post - you are the Champion Knight on this forum and have given all types of support and thought provoking issues in such a loving way I never thought anything would beat you...on saying that I wish you and your family courage, and hope and the knowledge that you are one of the guiding lights on this forum.

Thank you everyone! I am so touched by your love and encouraging words. That is what makes this the best forum on the internet.

I don't know what to say! Maybe the poison in my system from failing kidneys is clouding my judgment. LOL. I might be willing to concede to that but I don't see how we can deal with this on top of all we already have to deal with. Correct me if I am wrong, this is entirely new territory for me. I have known my kidneys have been bad for about 10 years, long before ALS reared its ugly head. The trache was incredibly easy, in my ignorance, I can't see this being as easy.

I just don't know that we have the energy to fight this and go to the hospital 3 times per week. I will definitely look into being setup to do this at home, thanks for suggesting this possibility, I guess we are tired. It is hard to watch my wife get frustrated with having to do everything for me. Now to add this to her list of things she has to do is hard for me.

My love flows out to each one of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back